Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
POI with Powder vs Pellets >

POI with Powder vs Pellets

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

POI with Powder vs Pellets

Old 01-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
I look at it from a cost vs performance point of view and pellets dont add up. I usually have some tubes preloaded with loose if there is any chance im going shooting or hunting. The box they come in isnt exactly the best for storage either if you are a seasonal hunter.

As far as in the field, they both need to be in a tube or container so they are not exposed to the elements. Having loose powder in a tube is just as easy as 2 or 3 pellets. I would rather take the chance of spilling a few grains instead of dropping a pellet.

Now lets say you hunt with a 3 pellet load, dropping one is a huge performance hit. Compared to losing 4-5grs in a 110-120gr loose load, i dont see any advantages in pellets.

All i see are cons
Cost more
Weight varies per pellet
Worse crud ring
Cant tailor the load
More abrasive to the bore
Can be crushed when loading a projectile
Harder to ignite vs T7 or Pyro
They can chip before loading
Cant interchange with other calibers

Oops
100gr of Pyro pellets (2) is probably closer to 80-90gr of Pyro loose depending on which grade, bullet weight and loading pressure.
I have to diagree,,,,,now not that I Drop Pellets, one has Rolled off the Bench a time or two when shooting, picking it up off the ground was easy. I have also been at the Bench while WINDY and have had the Wind Blow a small amount of Powder away while pouring it down the barrel, I tried but I just could'nt pick it back up. Now I do Prefer Lose Powder over Pellets and while Hunting Both are well taken care of and out of the Elements, but reguardless weather it's Powder or Pellets if you cant seem to load either right I'd rather have Pellets over Lose Powder. In a Hurry if I drop a Pellet I can Pick it Up, if I loose some Powder I have to open a new Loader and what Questimate how much I lost while loading. Also, even if Im in a Stand and Drop a Pellet, Im sure I have more on hand to just get another.
Again, Cost wise Lose Powder is Cheaper, Pellets are more expensive but a-lot easier to quick load if you have to. And Yea Speaking of Shaking have you ever Hunted in Minus Zero Weather, Shaking does happen, pellets are a-lot easier to load than lose powder, especially if it's windy or raining.
Again, I use both Lose and Pellets, each has a pourpose for certain conditions, I prefer Lose but I have not had a MLer Loaded with some Pellets ever let me down. Sure they cost more, but if you dont use that many then who cares about the few dollars more you spend if they work.
(BP)
Old 01-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

How do you guys get those pellets down the powder horn???

I look at muzzleloading like hand loading...I've used loose since the 70s, guess I'm too old to change now...

As far as reloading for a 2nd shot, never needed one...I've reloaded for a second deer, but never for the first one...

To be good, you need to shoot a lot...Pellets and expensive powders prohibit that...
Old 01-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
How do you guys get those pellets down the powder horn???

I look at muzzleloading like hand loading...I've used loose since the 70s, guess I'm too old to change now...

As far as reloading for a 2nd shot, never needed one...I've reloaded for a second deer, but never for the first one...

To be good, you need to shoot a lot...Pellets and expensive powders prohibit that...
I'll have to agree with you on that one....in all the years of MLer Hunting (24) never once did I really need another (Follow up Shot) to finish off my quarry. I took up Hunting with a Mler because of the One Shot Rule. I make sure My First Shot is 100% going to be a Perfect Kill Shot or I dont take it.
But I still have one Mler sighted in with Pellets (My Wifes too) only for the ease of Pellets. But for My more Seriousness Hunting I use Powder, and No I never needed another shot with Powder either.
Powder or Pellets, one shot should do it, no need for another shot. But sometimes a follow up shot may be needed and either will do just as good.
(BP)
Old 01-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Spike

I am new to muzzleloading and have not used pyrodex - in either loose form or pellet. Hopefully next season I can try it. I have used 777 pellets and blackhorn 209, and in my gun they are shooting in the same hole if my gun rest is solid and my trigger pull is perfect. I agree with Gm54-120 on the pellets storage box - they do not seal. Humidity in the air will get to them sooner or later. This year during the season Blackhorn 209 was in my barrel and my backup shot was 777 pellets loaded in a tube. I did not know what the weather would be for the entire season, and from my research I thought i could trust Blackhorn 209 in my barrel for 10 days without humidity or moisture affecting it. It worked perfectly, but my point is learning from others(following the experts on this website) and enjoying the time that it takes to figure what my gun likes is the fun of it all. Having a second shot ready in my pack is part of preparation, but in my mind I never plan to shoot twice. Taking THE FIRST BEST SHOT always works for me.

Last edited by moridgerunner; 01-12-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

For years i used two Pyrodex pellets and 100 grains of Pyrodex RS in my guns: The bullet was the Hornady 240 grain .430 XTP. The two loads shot the bullet to the same point of aim.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have on a number of occasions either had to reload to shoot a deer a second time or reload to shoot a second deer. Deer just don't give up that easy and I refuse to sit and watch one suffer. The later only happened once and was a successful endeaver. On all of these occasions I was using powder and reloading in a tree stand. Never once have I had an issue with spilling powder. There should be no difference in reloading for a second shot and loading the gun before the hunt. So where would there be a problem?
Old 01-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pluckit
I have on a number of occasions either had to reload to shoot a deer a second time or reload to shoot a second deer. Deer just don't give up that easy and I refuse to sit and watch one suffer. The later only happened once and was a successful endeaver. On all of these occasions I was using powder and reloading in a tree stand. Never once have I had an issue with spilling powder. There should be no difference in reloading for a second shot and loading the gun before the hunt. So where would there be a problem?
I may try the powder out as it seems like most of you guys have had good luck with reloading quickly with it. I also got a shot at 2 deer. Not this year, but last. I shot at the first one and either missed or didn't make a good hit. It was a long ways off, but I felt I knew how far to hold over at that distance, so maybe I didn't hit it. It ran even closer towards me and another deer ran out from behind some thick grown up stuff in the field, I hadn't seen before I shot the first time. I reloaded and shot the second deer as it was closest to me. When I did that, the original deer then ran even closer to me and stopped like he didn't know what to do. I reloaded and shot again. When I did, he fell down kicking. He unfortunately got up and ran off, and I never did find him, and I only found a drop of blood. This is when I quit using Power Belts.

I was worried if something like that ever happened again how it would be if I'd been using loose powder. That's why I plan to need to reload in the field mostly, but I've also had to reload while walking to a deer and give him another shot, as like others I refuse to see one suffer.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

How do you guys measure your powder? I'm already finding it a hassle. I bought one of the T/C U view powder measures from Walmart as it was on sale. This got good reviews online, but I'm finding I don't like it. It's hard to get the powder from the jug into the measure. I found it easy if I used my reloading funnel, but I won't have that in the field. So if I was in the field, or going into the field and I had the jug and the measure it would be very hard to do without spilling a ton of powder. The next issue I'm having is, when I set the measure to 100 grains, then I dump it out onto my RCBS scale, it says it's only 60 some grains. When I set the measure to 125 grains which is it's max the scale says it's 88 grains. So should I just go by what the measure says? Is it normal for them to be this far off? Or should I go by what my RCBS scale says? Is muzzle loading powder somehow measured differently? That being said 2 50 grain pellets didn't measure out to 100 grains on the RCBS scale either.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
How do you guys measure your powder? I'm already finding it a hassle. I bought one of the T/C U view powder measures from Walmart as it was on sale. This got good reviews online, but I'm finding I don't like it. It's hard to get the powder from the jug into the measure. I found it easy if I used my reloading funnel, but I won't have that in the field. So if I was in the field, or going into the field and I had the jug and the measure it would be very hard to do without spilling a ton of powder. The next issue I'm having is, when I set the measure to 100 grains, then I dump it out onto my RCBS scale, it says it's only 60 some grains. When I set the measure to 125 grains which is it's max the scale says it's 88 grains. So should I just go by what the measure says? Is it normal for them to be this far off? Or should I go by what my RCBS scale says? Is muzzle loading powder somehow measured differently? That being said 2 50 grain pellets didn't measure out to 100 grains on the RCBS scale either.
I do it like they did in the Old Days, I grab the Powder Horn, open it with My Teeth, Pour it into the Barrle untill Im satisfied it's enough, Push Down the Ball, PRAY, then SHOOT!
Please Dont Try this at Home, Im a Professional!
I have a Grain Scale that I measure out the Powder on, Igo by what it says. Or I also have a Tube Measurer that I just fill to the amount measured, tap it untill Im even and load.
(BP)
Old 01-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Hometheaterman-The next issue I'm having is, when I set the measure to 100 grains, then I dump it out onto my RCBS scale, it says it's only 60 some grains. When I set the measure to 125 grains which is it's max the scale says it's 88 grains. So should I just go by what the measure says? Is it normal for them to be this far off? Or

The T/C view powder measure is a measure of volume not weight whereas the RCBS measures the weight of the powder they are not the same for example 100 gr of 777 by volume when weighed will read about 70gr. Most loads are given in volume.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.