Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
197 Yard Dead Deer. No Blood Again >

197 Yard Dead Deer. No Blood Again

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

197 Yard Dead Deer. No Blood Again

Old 01-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default 197 Yard Dead Deer. No Blood Again

Well, I just wanted to thank everyone on puting me on the right track to use blackhorn 209 and Barns expanders to harvest my last deer.

Today was my last day to hunt with muzzleloader. I did not have much hope because I have not even seen a deer in the last two weeks. As a matter of fact, I went fishing most of the day through 12 inches of ice because I had little faith..lol

But, my friend told me I should at least try one more time because this is the last day and a snow storm has started which might move the deer early in the afternoon. So after fishing I went to a soy field and popped up a camo tent under a large tree.

My shots would be 240 yards or less.

The fun part was I brought my propane heater to stay warm. It was 80 degrees in my tent and 12 degrees outside...lol

I just sat back, relaxed and enjoyed the snow. It was a scene for an outdoor novel. Just beautiful.

I had the worst wind to. Strong east wind which forced me to stay south of the hunting point. However, it was this move that placed me on track for the best hunt I have had in a long time.

I have never shot at a deer past 120 yards. And I have never used a barns bullet to harvest a deer. But today, that all changed.

The deer came out an hour early, and began eating aprox 250 yards away. They moved diagonal to my blind and made it to within 200 yards. They stayed and fed in that area as light began to burn.

I had to make a choice. Shoot now or risk going over legal shooting time.

My T/C Omega is dead on at 100 yards. But has never been tested at 200.

I had to use 9 power on my Nikon Omega BDC, in order to see the sweet pocket of the boiler room.

Once the smoke cleared the deer layed right were I had shot it. 197 yards is my longest shot ever.

Once I walked up to the deer, I noticed no blood. No Blood! I could not even find the entrance wound. Jeeeeeze! Even sledding the deer for a mile in snow, we had little blood come out. This was my problem with XTP. Oh, well.

After we field dressed the deer we found out why the deer died so quick. It's heart was cut off. And it's lungs were liquefied. It looked like wet soup.

The entrance hole was plugged by medial shoulder fat. And the bullet never exited the hide of the opposite side. All its energy was delivered inside the deer.

I must say. I guess I just have to get over not seeing blood trails on muzzleloader deer. I should just be happy it kills them...lol

The doe weighed 172 lbs, and was covered in fat.

The best part was coming home and cleaning the gun. Breech plug came right out and cleaned east with hoppes.

Sorry for the bad pics. But it was snowing and cold and all I had was my cell phone for pics.

D
Attached Thumbnails 197 Yard Dead Deer. No Blood Again-dougdeer1.jpg   197 Yard Dead Deer. No Blood Again-dougdeer2.jpg  
Old 01-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice biggo doe. Don't need any blood when they DRT. Great shot and I'm glad you decided to go that one last time.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

good job! Congrats.That will be some good eating.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats..Good eating I bet.I just finished deer burger tacos for supper.None finer.

Charlie
Old 01-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good shooting, good report, and a mighty fine doe. Congratulations Doug.

Were you using the 250 or 300 grain Expander?

Last edited by Semisane; 01-11-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Spike

CONGRATULATIONS , sounds like it was a great hunt!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Dominant Buck

That was a heck of a shot. Nice shooting. And that is a great doe.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on nice fat doe and some good shooting .I went out today 9 hrs didnt see nothing...................
Old 01-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing finer that taking one on the 11th hour, great shooting. Did you get any fish?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a nice looking big old doe there. You should get a lot of venison from that one. Heck of a long range shot too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.