Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
FPB - loss of accuracy >

FPB - loss of accuracy

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

FPB - loss of accuracy

Old 01-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default FPB - loss of accuracy

Okay, my Triumph WOULD shoot the FPB's, 1-1 1/2 @ 100 yards and still does shoot sub 1" @ 100 yd with 250gr TEZ's and close to that with .430/ 240gr xtp's.

I've tried black, T7 and BH209 at various charges. I've pre-sized and not pre-sized. Swabbing and not. I don't get it. I don't need to shoot the FPB's, but what happened? Did I damage the crown or the QLA?
Some of the bullets look like they key holed. By bad accuracy, I mean the best is 3" groups @ 50 yards and the worst I'm hard pressed to keep'm on a 8" x 10"!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

1.5" groups with the 350 grain FPB at 100 yards is fantastic. My Encore makes 2.5-3.0" 100 yard groups with that bullet. Not sure what happened to degrade your accuracy. Know several folks who use that bullet on hogs: They all say that loading technique can effect accuracy to a large degree.

Insert the bullet in the QLA then give the quick starter a very hard rap with the heel of your hand to get the bullet into the rifling.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Check your barrel for a bit of copper or lead deposit.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Never had that proble,i've probably shot 5 or so packs of them sicne they came out,and my CVA will gropu them 1.5inch groups at 100yds just like your muzzleloader does.Love them bullets,but not very good for long range.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have nothing but very good accuracy with the 350 gr. FPB bullet. Just recently I have been able to get my hands on the 300 gr. bullet and will have it at the range as soon as possible.

On accuracy, I have matched your results at the 100 yd. and the 50 yd. I am having a problem going over your problem, what with all the variables. There must be something you changed, that is giving you this new situation. Try going over it in you mind and maybe it will come to you. I can't see this just happening out of the clear blue!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
1.5" groups with the 350 grain FPB at 100 yards is fantastic. My Encore makes 2.5-3.0" 100 yard groups with that bullet. Not sure what happened to degrade your accuracy. Know several folks who use that bullet on hogs: They all say that loading technique can effect accuracy to a large degree.

Insert the bullet in the QLA then give the quick starter a very hard rap with the heel of your hand to get the bullet into the rifling.
I think what he is saying is that his gun DID shoot FPBs at 1-1/2" but now is not. He is now getting 5 inch groups at 50 yards with the same bullet/load he was using.

But I don't have a clue as to why that might have happened. I would definately give it a good scrubbing with a lead/copper remover but doubt that is the problem. Sounds like something happened with the crown/QLA.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would make sure it did not have deposits in the barrel first as I have seen this problem cause that kind of group dissolution. But the other common thing I would check next is the scope I have had 3 scopes go west on me in the last 5 years.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like copper, and plastic deposits in the bore. You will not see this looking in the bore. Give the bore a good cleaning, and then wet a patch with Hoppes #9, yes, the old stand-by, Hoppes #9. Let it stay in the bore over night. Next day, run a dry patch down the bore. Is it blue/green? If it is, this is copper build-up. You may have to repeat this process for a few nights to get it all. The instructions that came with my Triumph caution against using bore solvents with ammonia. I have found that many lead/copper solvents/removers contain ammonia. Hoppes #9 does not contain ammonia. It might take a little longer, but it is safe for the bore. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
I would make sure it did not have deposits in the barrel first as I have seen this problem cause that kind of group dissolution. But the other common thing I would check next is the scope I have had 3 scopes go west on me in the last 5 years.
I thought about the scope too, but he says he is still sub 1" with sabots.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go with #9 and report back.

Should I run a wire brush through too?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.