HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Bore " Conditioning " (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/337865-bore-conditioning.html)

Josmund 01-07-2011 06:57 PM

Bore " Conditioning "

I know there lot's information on conditioning and polishing bores but I can't seem to get it clear.

I have an Omega and Disc Elite. Both have less than 50 rounds through them and I've never done anything but clean with Hoppes #9 when shooting BH209 or just water with T7 and oiled them up.

What about JB's or Montana xtreme? Do I need to use these on low use barrels? I do plan on shooting more this year. Any recommendations?

builder459 01-07-2011 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Josmund (Post 3754312)
I know there lot's information on conditioning and polishing bores but I can't seem to get it clear.

I have an Omega and Disc Elite. Both have less than 50 rounds through them and I've never done anything but clean with Hoppes #9 when shooting BH209 or just water with T7 and oiled them up.

What about JB's or Montana xtreme? Do I need to use these on low use barrels? I do plan on shooting more this year. Any recommendations?

quite a few guys on this forum are using a lite coat montanas bore conditioner after cleaning with hoppes/equivalent bore cleaner and BH209. with 777 windex or alcohol and oil or bore conditioner.

liquidorange 01-08-2011 03:30 AM

those products are part of the science to help with specific problems. you may or may not have issues. sounds like your doing good. if your gun shoots good and cleans up fine and your happy your done. ;). there are those with accuracy or fouling issues that try these products. if i had major issues with a new gun it would be sent back to the manufacurer. some barrels just need a little love and thats where these products can help.jb bore paste will help to smooth out any rough spots in the rifling and will remove lead and copper and nasty fouling from rough or poorly cleaned barrels.people will use jb bore paste especially on a new barrel but your removing metal so you dont wanna over use it. jb bore paste is supposed to be non-embedding. meaning it wont get lodge into the metal and stay there. metal has pores like your skin. the montana product fills in the low spots so fouling doesnt sit in the hard to get at areas build up.

Josmund 01-08-2011 06:15 AM

Thanks Guys,

It sounds like I'm doing fine with my current system. I have no loading problems and can shoot pretty good groups. I always finish my cleaning by running a patch soaked with Remoil.

One last question..... Does the brass brush ever need to be used when shooting sabots?

Thanks again,

deer655 01-08-2011 06:20 AM

I have a 23 year old muzzleloader that has been hunted hard with every year I ahve had it. The only reason I used JB bore paste was that I had some barrel imperfections creep up over the years and the JB bore paste took them right out. It helped my ol gun load easier and my accuracy improved. When I first got the gun I thought I was cleaning it out good enough but must of been leaving a tiny amount in the first 6 inches of the barrel. Over the years it became harder to clean and the bore paste eliminated the rough spots in that area.

Breechplug 01-08-2011 06:48 AM

You dont have to have Accuracy or Fouling problems to use Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner. I use it and have none of those problems. What it does do is Condition the Bore. Mabey not in the way some think, but it does help greatly in preventing Rust, it's easier to clean your Mler after shooting, and Im not sure yet but it may help to Improve Accuracy.
I use both Pyro Powder and Pellets and I dont get a Crud Ring or if there is it's very minimal when having the Montana XT BC applied to My MLer Barrels. Heck what have you got to lose by tying some even though your using BH. I bought 3 Bottles of it along with the Montana Gun Oil 2 years ago and Im still on My first Bottle of Montana XT BC and there's still half a Bottle left.
It's a Ver Good Product and I'd reccomend it to anyone.
I would only use JB's if you have a extremely tight Bore or one that has Minor Imperfections. If your Mler Barrel is fine I'd skip the JB's but would certainly try the Montana Products.
(BP)

smokey92 01-08-2011 07:25 AM

I used Hoppes gun oil after cleaning. Want to use Montana conditioner. Should I just wipe the Hoppes oil with a patch, or use some sort of degreaser before applying the Montana?

sabotloader 01-08-2011 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by smokey92 (Post 3754408)
I used Hoppes gun oil after cleaning. Want to use Montana conditioner. Should I just wipe the Hoppes oil with a patch, or use some sort of degreaser before applying the Montana?

It would be my suggestion that your bore clean and stripped to bare metal before starting to use the X-Treme. This will allow the conditioner to begin it's thing quicker. As it is, it will leach further fouling out of the bore. It does take a few applications for it to reach it's potential.

Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner is a lubricant that was formulated to increase extreme accuracy in precision match-grade barrels. It is a highly refined, low residue oil that has been designed to eliminate the factors that cause oil to gum and congeal. Regular use after a thorough cleaning will reduce copper buildup and increase accuracy due to reduced fouling in factory and match grade barrels. Helps eliminate the fouling shot typically required with a clean barrel. Excellent for reducing sabot fouling in muzzleloaders. CONTAINS NO PTFE, SILICONES or SYNTHETICS that are known to leave residue and affect accuracy.
A light application is recommended after each cleaning.

Gm54-120 01-08-2011 08:47 AM

Ive used JB on most of mine but i use MX bore conditioner on all of them. My 52cal's bore was so nice i felt there was no need and surprisingly the Savage also didnt need it.

The MX bore conditioner does appear to work as advertised after a few applications. Im not sure if it was the range time on the new barrels or the conditioner but im happy with the results.

My favorite part is sometimes i forget to dry swab before shooting. Using the conditioner vs Remoil i dont get any gummy residue. Remoil is horrible if not removed from the bore prior to firing even with BH209. Using T7 it is unbearable if not cleaned out first. MX conditioner actually seems to help reduce hard T7 fouling but i still need to do more testing with T7 again. Ive only tested it in my old Thunderhawk that had years of use before trying it. It will shoot at least 4-5 shots and no spitpatch is needed between shots.

It does go a long way also. I have quite a few guns and i still have over 1/2 a bottle after using it for almost a year. In my Knights i also use it in the breach area. Primer soot wipes clean with ease now but they shoot very clean anyway.

cayugad 01-08-2011 12:01 PM

I use Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner on a few of my rifles. I did this to see if it really makes a difference. Well it does. It makes them load easier and clean easier. Not much mind you, because all my rifles are in good shape. But my Remington Genesis especially was a good case. I would have swore that bore was clean. I used the bore conditioner and could not believe the gray what ever it is, that came out of the thing. Now it looks like a mirror down there. It loads like a dream, accuracy is excellent and clean up seems also easy. Although I never complain about the cleaning part. That is all in the sport.

If your rifle shoots well, loads well, and you care for the barrel, a bore conditioner is not necessary. It is just a little more protection some of us are adding. I like to do it to my more expensive rifles, just to make sure they stay in pristine shape.