Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Interesting Second Trip to Range with TC BC Triumph >

Interesting Second Trip to Range with TC BC Triumph

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Interesting Second Trip to Range with TC BC Triumph

Old 01-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
The TEZ's shoot really well with the Harvester black CR sabots out of a Thompson Center.
Not in mine - too loose. Been there done that.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sabotloader
builder459

I just wish TC would wake up and smell the Roses and offer that dang gun in real Stainless... If they want more sales and a boost in their profit margin getting the Triumph/Bone Collector/Dream Season in stainless would be a boost...

I do not even need one but I would seriously consider it....
Agreed - I dont have to worry about this with any of my other rifles. That would be a nice gun
Old 01-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

builder459

I just wish TC would wake up and smell the Roses and offer that dang gun in real Stainless... If they want more sales and a boost in their profit margin getting the Triumph/Bone Collector/Dream Season in stainless would be a boost...

I do not even need one but I would seriously consider it....
Sabotloader your probably right about stainless versions, i personally don't care for any stainless rifle.maybe i am old school, they just look to bright and fancy to me!i am sure it would help with the sales of there rifles.who knows why corporations do what they do, i am sure they have there reasons lol! i am really anxious to try BH in the triumph and see how it performs.only downside is $$$ and i probably won't want to go back to 777 lol! oh well, we only live once!! Ray
Old 01-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

builder459

I know what you mean... but BH is just to expensive to be fun especially with the amount of shooting I do. T7 works very well for me - so I will contiune on...

I even bought a case of it when Cabelas had it on sale and I still use T7....

A lot of folks would call me old fogie... but if I could i would gladly trade my Tika 300 Win Mag for a stainless Tika Win Mag.... I have really come to like stainless. It is a winner on so many plains for me.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

builder459

I know what you mean... but BH is just to expensive to be fun especially with the amount of shooting I do. T7 works very well for me - so I will contiune on...

I even bought a case of it when Cabelas had it on sale and I still use T7....

A lot of folks would call me old fogie... but if I could i would gladly trade my Tika 300 Win Mag for a stainless Tika Win Mag.... I have really come to like stainless. It is a winner on so many plains for me.
If i like it as much as i think i will, i will just shoot BH and buy 777 for the boy and the lady . that sound selfish lol?
Old 01-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

If they offered a stainless Triumph with the Omega Dream Season contour and length barrel it would be hard to pass up.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
If they offered a stainless Triumph with the Omega Dream Season contour and length barrel it would be hard to pass up.
I never looked at the dream season closely, just went to the T/C site.it is a nice M/L and that barrel is nice.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bonner1
Understood.

I did not run an alcohol swab through - just a dry patch. I assume I should be running an alcohol swab through instead of dry patch (prior to popping some primers and preparing to shoot after thorough cleaning)? When you say alcohol swab - can I use the kind that people use prior to getting a shot or cleaning a wound (they come prepackaged) or just soak a dry patch in rubbing alcohol?
Remember anything i put in this post are just my thoughts and the way i do things but others certainly may do them different.
I never use alcohol in my ML's but because of the way I treat the bore I do think it is necessary. In your case for this particular shooting episode I would say that you really should have ran 2 or 3 alcohol patches before shooting. From another conversation, you said that you use Hoppes #9 gun oil for your bore. I looked up Hoppes #9 and while it is great bore oil - it is exactly that - it is real oil and I would call it a heavy oil. Just wiping the bore with a dry patch probably will not get much of the oil out of the bore at all + plus every time you shoot and heat the bore you probably released even more oil from the bore. Probably why it took so long for the sabots to get a grip on the lands and grooves to be accurate. Again in your case alcohol really might have sped this process up. Regular denatured alcohol (70% Isopropyl Alcohol) will work ok, but I would really suggest 91% alcohol avaiable at your local Pharmacy.

After I cleaned from last range visit I cleaned the bore and breech plug thoroughly with regular solvent and gun scrubber getting the patches to come out spotless. Then I liberally sprayed "Cabelas Barrel Blaster Rust Prevent Spray" in barrel and ran one dry patch through one time just to catch excess and let it be until I brought it out today at which time I ran two dry patches in and out till I saw no evidence of moisture on the patch.
Sounds good to me.. i do the scrubber stuff also... I do not use the Barrel Blaster spray... This is where I would like to suggest that you use a synthetic bore oil vs a true oil. There 2 products on the market that I believe are superior for this process. The first one is 'Slip 2000' an awesome oil... a tiny little bit on one patch might do a whole gun - do not need much...

Check the Gun lubricant tab on this site, do not look at the BP oil tab:
http://www.slip2000.com/

The other oil that I suggest and the one that I use today is Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner... I know every one will thell you you can not condition a modern steel bore... but it is metal and it does have pores so it can be conditioned... This product is another synthetic product with the prime ingrediant being Ether Alcohol for rapid evaportation leaving the synthetic oil portion in place. Again a very little bit of this will go miles and miles. If you get it and start using it you will over do the oil for awhile because you eill not believe how far it will go. I use it and find no need for the alcohol patch prior to shooting.

Click on the products tab and choose Bore Conditioner:
http://www.montanaxtreme.com/

I may go ahead and clean it tomorrow (just hard letting a dirty gin sit like this - especially since is not a SS barrel) and then try somehow to go to an indoor range at some point this week just to see how it shoots out of the box after popping three primers prior to shooting to see where first one lands. However want to see what you all have to say about what I have talked about in this one.
Do not think that will be a problem just remember to run 3 or 4 alcohol patches prior to shooting. Then prior to loading snap 3-4 primers and dry patch.... Load 'er up and go hunting.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have had good luck shooting TEZ with blue and a 250gr loaded with 100 grains of powder out of my TC bone collector. I usually shoot 2 or 3 primers through before loading and it has always shot a nice group with the Barnes. Good luck .