Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new englander

Old 12-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default new englander

Looking at buying a TC New Englander. Anyone know much about them? Were they good? accurate, etc. I have only heard of Hawkens and Renegades so know nothing of this gun really. Can it shoot pyrodex pellets or do I have to buy other supplies to shoot in it?
Thanks for all your help in advance.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

mnprohunter

I think Cayugad has a couple of them and it seems he has often given them a thumbs up....

He is on the road right now so he can not comment but when he gets back he is a good resource....
Old 12-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pellets are not recommended for traditional rifles.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:17 PM
Spike

Have had one for many years.Great MZ. Mine is in 54cal.The best thing I did for this gun was to added the TC Hunter tang sight. The gun is 1/48 twist. Likes the conicals with about 80 gr ffg. If it is a 54 it shoots excellent with round ball.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

thanks so much. I look forward to hearing from him, but i think ill probably end up using ffg with a conical, some sites i read on seemed to say this was the way to go, just that i don't have any of those supplies, but it would be fun to learn/try something different...i just don't know much about loading with this stuff....and conicals....etc. so have to read and ask for advice on here as no one i know shoots this way.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

mnprohunter

Register over here and them go to this post... Cayugad may give some ideas in this post.....

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/ph...ic.php?t=19040
Old 12-31-2010, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

I put a set of Williams fiber optic sights on mine.Helps my old eyes pick up the target better. Great shooter with 80gr powder and a 385 Great Plains Conical.I have used pyro RS,BM3 and 777 with good results.A lot of fun to shoot for the kids.50 gr loads and RB.

Charlie
Old 12-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any TC MZ is going to be a good gun. They made alot of variations of the MZ rifle, like the New Englander, and the PA Hunter.

The New Englander was brought out as a less expensive rifle. Cheaper than their Renegade and Hawken. Not necessarliy a cheap made rifle. Just more plain Jane.

The New Englander could also be bought as a combo with an added shotgun barrel. I sold a bunch of those.

Overall the New Englander is a qualtiy built rifle with a good walnut stock. If there is not bore rust then you have got a nice rifle. Enjoy it with good old loose BP, and a PRB or a conical.

Some pictures would be nice. Don't ya know you are always suppose to post pictures?? Tom.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Dominant Buck

No pellets for the New Englander. I have three or four of them if you count shotgun barrels, maybe even more. I would have to look. I have them in .50 and .54 caliber.

They are a great shooting rifle. Keep that bore clean and the fire channel open and that rifle will fire. Mine will shoot roundball, conical bullets, and sabots. They have a 1-48 twist. They might not be fancy, but if all you want is a hunting rifle, you might want to get one, if the price is right.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:13 AM
Fork Horn

yes I am looking at it for a hunting rifle and will post pics soon. I will have to do some reading to learn how to measure correctly, how to load...and was thinking maybe tc conicals prelubed with bore butter...and dumb question maybe...but I have only shot pellets and sabots...do I need to put a patch between the powder and the conical...and if so, what do you guys recommend?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.