HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   What do you think?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/337275-what-do-you-think.html)

HEAD0001 12-29-2010 03:28 PM

What do you think??

I have been spending some time on the other MZ forum trying to decide on a new MZ that I want to have built.

Here is what I have come up with. Tell me what you think. Gonna have TVM do the work.

Early Lancaster design
50 caliber FL ignition
28" swamped barrel(B profile)
Presentaton Grade piece of Maple
No patchbox
Brass Furniture

I would like to have done some wood carving, but that is just not in the cards because of added expense. What do you guys think of this build?? Tom.

bronko22000 12-29-2010 04:20 PM

Sounds pretty but I think I would hold off on the wood carving. I nice piece of presentation grade maple is beautiful enough without carving it.

nchawkeye 12-29-2010 04:29 PM

I'd still go with a .54 caliber, a .50 won't do anything a .54 won't do...I'm guessing you actually mean a 38 inch barrel and I'd have a patch box on her, most did...I carry a vent pick, cleaning jag and of course a roll of greased patching in mine...A Lancaster Daisy would be proper, they even found their way down to Carolina...I'd also have double set triggers...

She would look something like this... :)

Semisane 12-29-2010 06:10 PM

It would be a .54 for me too. I agree with no patchbox - let the pretty wood show. Early Lancaster is darn nice with a wide buttplate. I know that style calls for brass, but I don't care so much about period correctness. If it were my build I would go with steel furniture just `cause I like browned steel.

cayugad 12-29-2010 08:05 PM

.54 caliber instead of the .50 with out a doubt for me. A .50 would not even be considered in a custom rifle. The swamped barrel is a nice touch and I would go 38 inches at the most. I am not someone that wants a carved rifle. I like a nice piece of wood. I agree you don't need the fancy patch box. BUT on that early Lancaster model that wooden patch box is sure nice looking. If you don't get it now you never will.

MountainDevil54 12-29-2010 08:16 PM

i'd check out the Hawken Shop

lemoyne 12-30-2010 05:49 AM

A 50 is ok for target up to 125 yds a 54 is MUCH better for hunting and longer range target.

dirt1008 12-30-2010 03:25 PM

I'm with semi on the brown steel. Like this one,http://www.trackofthewolf.com/catego...Support=1&as=1, I think there's 6 pictures

HEAD0001 12-30-2010 09:07 PM

Definitely no patch box. I just don't like the looks of a patch box. Yes it is period correct. But I am a hunter, not a showman.

You guys and your 54 caliber!!:hail: You guys are probably right about the 54. I have just never had one. And I have everything in the world to shoot 50 caliber PRB's with. And nothing for the 54. But who doesn't need a new mold??:rolleye0011:

I am really looking forward to this one. I have been debating on redoing an older TC Renegade with an LRH barrel, or building my FL rifle of my dreams. I have the money saved up(been saving for about a year). Now it is time to spend it. Probably just sell the Renegade, before I grow a wild hair and buy the LRH barrel also.

Semi I agree with you on the brown. I also agree with you on the black iron instead of the brass. Although I do like the brass also. But the builder only does the Early Lancaster in either brass or silver. He does not have an option for iron metal. He likes to build them period correct. And brass is the period correct option for the Early Lancaster. But I could always ask. My 36 caliber Squirrel rifle has the iron, and it looks great. Plain looking, but great to me! Thanks, Tom.

My 36: Southern Mountain-Poor Boy Style in Walnut. The metal to wood fit on this rifle is incredible. And it handles like a glove. It is amazing how those guys can build a rifle that really feels right!!