Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Roundballs vs powerbelts >

Roundballs vs powerbelts

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Roundballs vs powerbelts

Old 12-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 54 Hawken project rifle in my safe that was my BP starting tool. I killed many deer with it using Buffalo BUllets and then went to HB Buffalo Bullets. I then found the Lee REAL, Rifling Engraved At Loading, minnies at 200grn and they REALLY shot well!!!! I then began hunting with them over 75grns of Pyrodex RS and they killed several deer before I hung up gun deer hunting for a few years to chase bowhunting exclusively.
I now shoot a 50 cal Knight in-line and use the power belts also. Can't complain about either weapon except to pick a kill spot and drill it.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Then you need to quit flinching, another problem all together...
Thanks for the advice, i'll work on that.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot alot of deer with PRB's in the 45 and 50 caiber. As well as deer with heavy conicals in the 45 and 50 caliber. Both are very effective on deer. However I truly believe the larger conicals have a pretty good edge over the PRB. However a 54 caliber is even bigger than the 50 caliber as far as bullet weight is concerned. I do not have any experience with the 54 caliber PRB's. But there is no doubt in my mind it is more than adeuate to do the job.

Personally I do not like the Power Belts. But honestly that is only because I casy my own conicals. So I have no need to buy expensive factory conicals. I am sure the Power Belt can not do anything better than the conicals that I cast. Tom.