Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Clueless about muzzleloaders... >

Clueless about muzzleloaders...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Clueless about muzzleloaders...

Old 12-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Clueless about muzzleloaders...

Hey guys...

I have been reading some of the posts on this forum and wanted to ask a broader range question (or questions). So, let's get right down to it:

I have never owned a muzzleloader, never loaded one or shot one, but at least I've seen them in the stores. So, I'm not afraid to admit that I might be a little clueless, but at least I do have an understanding on how they operate.

Anyway, I want to get a muzzleloader sometime before next season. I know that TC, Traditions, and CVA are the top 3 brands, with TC arguably being the best USA made muzzleloader. But does anyone know if they make a "muzzleloader for dummies"?

Easy to operate
Easy to clean
Break action
Accurate sights (I'm weird... I don't want a scope on it).
Very reliable
USA made

TC or Traditions are the two brands I am looking at and researching. What do you think?

BTW... I already have a Savage .308 rifle with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope and it is an amazing tack driver, and my primary deer rifle. I want to get a muzzleloader to use during it's own season before general firearms comes in. But, I'd like to keep it short range 50-100 yards with open sights and hunt the heavy woods. The Savage .308 is for more open areas and can go way out beyond 100 yards.

Second question: Is it better to use a muzzleloader with a scope or with open sights?

Last question (sorry if this comes across as stupid...): How do you unload a muzzleloader, or can you? Let's say you got skunked and are going to head back home. With a pump shotgun or bolt action rifle or lever action rifle, you just rachet the action and eject the shells. With a muzzleloader, you can't do that. Do you have to shoot it at a tree stump or something to legally unload it?

Sorry for all the questions... But like I said, I want to pick up a TC inline muzzleloader or maybe a Traditions muzzleloader and learn all there is about them.

Thanks.

Last edited by ButchA; 12-23-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

I'd say TC Triumph. Fits your parameters.

sites or scope is your choice.

Just pull the breech plug and push out the load at the end of the day.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The TC Triumph is what you are looking for topped off with a Nikon omega scope.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Butch, alot of guys do shoot their guns off....but in VA a legally "unloaded" m/l is one that has the cap removed. You can leave the load in if you don't want to shoot it off, or you may hunt again the next day or week, etc.

My personal choice is a scope, but obviously thats up to you. If you haven't shot open sights much, its not that hard...you just have to get used to it. Assuming you are already used to using a scope, its probably not a bad idea. The early m/l season in VA is the best time every year, typically. Good luck
Old 12-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey guys...

Easy to operate
Easy to clean
Break action
Accurate sights (I'm weird... I don't want a scope on it).
Very reliable
USA made

TC or Traditions are the two brands I am looking at and researching. What do you think? Traditions rifles come from Spain and are assembled in the United States. Just like CVA. The rifle I would suggest to you is the Thompson Center Triumph or the Impact. You want a made in America rifle, and a break open design. These would fit the bill.

Second question: Is it better to use a muzzleloader with a scope or with open sights? This is strictly a owners preference. With a good optics you can stretch your shooting range a great deal. But then if you are a close hunter of like 100 yards or less, open sights should be just fine. The choice is up to you.

If you do go with a scope get one to fit your needs. Good eye relief, and good glass. Nothing says you have to go 3-9x40. I have a 2.5x20mm that is a fine short range scope.

Last question (sorry if this comes across as stupid...): How do you unload a muzzleloader, or can you? Let's say you got skunked and are going to head back home. With a pump shotgun or bolt action rifle or lever action rifle, you just rachet the action and eject the shells. With a muzzleloader, you can't do that. Do you have to shoot it at a tree stump or something to legally unload it?

Some at the end of the day just shoot them out. Others with inline rifles take them home, remove the breech plug and push the projectile and powder out the end. Then you swab the bore out real easy and your set for the next day.

Sorry for all the questions... But like I said, I want to pick up a TC inline muzzleloader or maybe a Traditions muzzleloader and learn all there is about them.

Go to T/C's web site. Download a Triumph manual in PDF and read it. That will tell you a lot about the rifle, what it can do, what it will be like to shoot one, etc. It might help you decide if that rifle would be the right one for you.

Also there are no dumb questions. You ask anything you want prior to purchase. Its a lot easier to say, I don't like that rifle, maybe I want something else then... well I bought this rifle and now I find I don't like it.

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Banned

IMO the best rifle with open sights thats easy to get down on and actually can be used are one of the CVA rifles. I like the Optima and Accura V2 with open sights.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

TC Impact or Triumph fine accurate guns that you can reliably use all the available powders in without warranty voiding modifications. I can see the open sights on my Triumph just fine.

While the open sights are fine, EABCO sells a combo peep sight/scope base that gives you a better sight picture and the option to add a scope later.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Urban_Redneck
TC Impact or Triumph fine accurate guns that you can reliably use all the available powders in without warranty voiding modifications. I can see the open sights on my Triumph just fine.

While the open sights are fine, EABCO sells a combo peep sight/scope base that gives you a better sight picture and the option to add a scope later.
x2 on the T/c triumph or impact, the reviews i have read on the impact are excellent.also i never had a problem with sighting targets with the sights that came with my triumph.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off if you can use a Scope on a MLer where you live during the Season, use one. It only Helps You and the Deer have a more Pleasant experience.
I would'nt worry about owning a CVA, even though it's not American Made it sure does the Job and for the money you get as good if not better a MLer than the American Made one's, I own all CVA's and YES I do Love America. If you want a Good MLer and it has to be American Made, get a TC.
Where I live a MLer is Legally Unloaded as long as it Does'nt have a Primer in it, it can be carried to and from Hunting in a Vehicle as long as there's no Primer in it. A MLer Does'nt have to be Unloaded after the Hunt,it can be used again the next day with No Problems as long as you dont fill the Barrel Full of water or snow. I cover the end of the Barrel with Masking Tape to keep out the Moisture, never had a problem.
Also if you must unload the Charge out of your MLer, and I dont know how all MLer's are, but My CVA ACCURA's Breechplug can be removed and I can Push out the Saboted Bullet and Powder out of the Breech End with little to no effort, No Need to Shoot it out.
All MLer's are easy to use, buy one, enjoy and be Hooked.
(BP)
Old 12-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

First check out your states regulations for what you can and cannot use during the season you want to hunt. Some states have certain bullet sizes, powders you can and cannot use, scopes, etc.. That will set you on what type you can use. Price would then eventually come into the game, get one you can afford and get your feet wet with. A lot of new guys like the CVA Wolf, it breaks open and shoots well. I do not have a Wolf but will be getting one for my dad. I shoot Traditions but all mine were made in 2000-2001 with a bolt action type, I do not think anyone still makes that type. If I do not shoot at days end I just pull the breach plug and push out the load and reuse in the morning. I do not like to leave a load in the gun but that is just me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.