Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Clueless about muzzleloaders... >

Clueless about muzzleloaders...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Clueless about muzzleloaders...

Old 12-24-2010, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want made in the USA, you're pretty much looking at the TC Triumph or Impact. The CVA Accura and Wolf both are very simple to use, shoulder well and have really nice open sights. But not made in USA.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow... Thanks for all the great replies!

Here in Virginia, we have separate deer seasons:
Urban archery (Does only on private land) --- Sep 4-Oct 1
Archery --- Oct 2-Nov 12
Muzzleloader --- Oct 30-Nov 12
General Firearms --- Nov 13-Nov 27 (west of Blue Ridge)
General Firearms --- Nov 13-Jan 1 (east of Blue Ridge)
Late archery --- Nov 29-Jan 1
Late Muzzleloader --- Dec 11-Jan 1

Since I sold my compound bow, all I have for deer hunting is my Remington 870 12ga, and my Savage .308 rifle. A nice, simple, muzzleloader would be a nice addition.

Sometimes I can get a little anal regarding the "Made in the USA" label. I don't know... It just depends, I guess... I'd have to check out a CVA muzzleloader vs. a T/C or maybe even a Traditions. I have lots of time between now and next season.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

By Spring Knight should be back in production, they are a good high quality rifle.
The best dedicated inline is the TC Triumph and that is by popular consensus as well as my opinion. The Impact and the Omega by TC are very good rifles. I believe the easiest to use and the easiest to get accuracy with is the Triumph; there are Accura and the Optima all inlines which are decent guns in one of the not quite as good brands.
Important, Either check your state laws or tell us what state you live in and what states you will hunt in some ,a few of the states have weird or other wise different laws and what you want and what you can use in some states may not be the same so to hunt you need to find out what is legal where you live.
You may need to go traditional or sabot-less or lead-less or with lead conicals only so do your research or have some one here who lives in the states help you.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

I would suggest that you go to a gun shop and handle, feel and really look over all the mentioned muzzleloaders before you buy. If you buy just because it is made in America you may not like the feel of the gun and regret your purchase. Get the rifle that fits you personally and not what others prefer, You are the one to use the gun and also the one to pay for it. TC rifles are good ones and so are Traditions and also CVA. I personally have a TC Omega and a CVA Accura. One made in USA and one in Spain. To me the quality and workmanship are equal on both rifles. I use the CVA Accura more often than not because it just fits me better. Both guns are scoped so sights are not the reason.
Like I said go check them out and buy the one YOU WANT and you will be much happier.
Once you get started with ML's you will be hooked like the rest of us. I don't even use my centerfire guns anymore, just my black powder guns get to go for a walk with me. LOL
Old 12-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Butch, as far as scope vs open sights, why not both? I have see through scope mounts on my Knight which would allow me use my iron sights if I needed to.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Gotbuck
If I do not shoot at days end I just pull the breach plug and push out the load and reuse in the morning. I do not like to leave a load in the gun but that is just me.
Can you reuse the charge, bullet, and sabot?
Old 12-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Ozark, I do reuse the bullet, sabot and charge, the trick is to not crush the pellets so I take the ramrod and tap it a while until it all pops out. I put a towel on the floor to catch it all or the bullet and pellets bounce around and like to find hard to reach places. I do not like to keep the load in as I have noticed condensation on my gun when going from cold to a heated area in our hunting shelter and if you can see it on the outside of the gun it is in there on the inside also. The pellets are hydroscopic and love moisture and I feel it is not worth the chance to take when it counts. A lot of guys keep them loaded and they go off fine but for me no way. It is just good ol firearm safety to have them unloaded.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Spike

Thanks buck.

To the OP - I decided on my tc impact based on reviews on the chuckhawk website, reviews of competitive rifles on the Cabelas and bps websites, and, as rogo said above, how it fits. Luckily for me the BPS here in Springfield had the tc impact and the cva wolf - the two guns I was comparing. I new immediately the impact was right for me because it 'locked' right into place. Hopefully you can get hands on and since it's getting late in the season you probably can hook up a great deal!
Old 12-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

I was shouldering a few, while thinking about one for a grandson. I noticed one with the front sight's fiber optic being red with two green sights for the rear. This struck me as really odd, since with bows, I've always favored a green pin. they show up so much better for me and red always seems to fade out much sooner in poor light. Most ml sights seem to use a green front and two red rears which I much favor. Might be something to keep in mind if your going to rely on your iron sights.