Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Stuck

Old 12-24-2010, 03:45 AM
Spike

What I have done in the past is find a gease fitting that fits the nipple hole and use a grease gun to safely push whatever is in the barrel out. Good Luck
Old 12-24-2010, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

Now that is a great idea, gonna try it on one I have had laying around for yearsa with a stuck patch and jag.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off since you were using a Wooden Ram Rod I'd have unscrewed the wooden one from the cleaning jag and screwed a Metal one back onto it. This would have gave you a solider and more reliable pull. Next I would have used a T-Handle on the end of the Metal Ram Rod, soaked the Patch and then Pulled, Im sure it would have eventually came out.
Now I guess it's up to what other's have told you to do, I've never got a cleaning jag stuck but have had a round ball, shot it out.
Good Luck!
(BP)
Old 12-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Years ago I had the same thing happen. My rod broke off and it was all stuck. I took a ball puller on a metal cleaning rod, then screwed it into my broken off rod down in the barrel. It was a nightmare to get that thing screwed in and pulled out. Took forever, I didn't think I was gonna get it out. I think if I was you I'd try what Semi said about the grains of powder in the nipple hole and go that route. Assuming its not soaked and the powder will burn that should do it. The grease gun idea sounds like it will work also, but you'll need a fitting.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I would go the shoot it out route. Pull the nipple. On the chance that everything is damp or oily in the breech, give it a good long blast with carbuerator cleaner through the nipple hole and drain that out. Let it sit for an hour or two in a verticle position with the muzzle down to make sure everything is dry at the breech (or blow it out with a compressor or "canned air"). Trickle some powder in there and give it a shot. It should come out.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by pluckit
The ram rod is wooden and has broken off at the permenantly attatched cleaning jag. Now the jag with the patch on it is stuck inside the barrel. I figured the only way I'll ever get it out now would be to shoot it out. But I was affraid the barrel might explode. Also, everything In the barrel is probably soaking wet with oil and water from trying to soak the patch and I figure that might keep the powder from going off. I would like to salvage the barrel if I can, but I was going to buy a new one for the rifle anyway. That was my plan when I bought the gun.
In your original post this information was not available but at this point totally agree with the directions that Semi has provided. I have had to do it a few of times myself for other folks and at least once for myself. The problem now might be to make sure everything is dry from the breech to the blockage.

Then like he said drop a small amount ML powder in the breech and find safe place to shoot it out. Might even take a couple of attemtps as your inclination is going to be to shoot a very small amount of powder.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I have shot ends of ramrods out of a barrel before. BUT after you load some powder (pack it in the nipple port) and it don't take much... be sure to drive that jag down to the end of the breech on the powder. Other wise it is a barrel obstruction. I had trouble with Green Mountain Barrel ramrods loosing their ends because they were not pinned. And I would put about 5 grains of powder down the bolster/drum... put the nipple back on, make sure that jag is pushed down to the bottom, and shoot it out, into a cardboard box. Be careful that thing has a lot of velocity. More then you'd think. So don't aim at anything. The cardboard shows that something came out of the barrel is all. The end will be under the box in the dirt.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys.I'll give it a try.I've done it before with a round ball that I forgot to load powder in first.I'll let you know how it comes out.Pun intended.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Spike

I have used a grease fitting a few times and it workers great.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

OK it appears you got the rod stuck all the way down the bore. No need to panic. It happens to all of us. I assume you soaked the patch by pouring water or some other liquid down the bore. If so, this is going to take a while.
You will need to set your rifle muzzle down to drain any liquid from the breech. If you have access to an air compressor, remove the nipple and blow air into the breech for a minute or two to dry it out. Keep the nipple out and take the rifle to a range or other safe place (even our garage or basement is ok). Now trickle about 5-10 grains of powder into the breech from the nipple hole. You may have to tap the rifle on the left side to work the powder in, reinstall the nipple, cap it and fire it - pointing it in a safe direction of course. A pile of rags an old phone book or several news papers will work fine as a backstop. After the rod comes out, get some venetlation in there if you do it indoors or it will smell like rotten eggs.
Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.