HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   TC .54 White Mt. Carbine (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/336880-tc-54-white-mt-carbine.html)

Pioneer2 12-23-2010 06:42 AM

TC .54 White Mt. Carbine

Can anyone tell me a bit about these as I'm picking up a minty used one soon? From what I've read rifling twists varied and something about chronic stock splitters?I have a .54 Renegade with a custom GM ball barrel but dam it's heavy to haul around hunting..............Thanx Harold

builder459 12-23-2010 09:23 AM

h
Here's a option, go to GMB's web page click on replacement barrels. they have a .50, 21x1,1:28 twist carbine barrel with sights $112.00.just sit on your rene stock and have fun and you can always switch barrels back and forth. just a thought.. Ray

kb1 12-23-2010 09:56 AM

i would not know if they are prone to crack but i bought a .54 white mtn carbine with a cracked stock because it was a good deal and i like to have repair projects over winter.so far i have not worked up a good PRB load.but it does shoot 425g buffalo bullet fairly well using 80g vol. T7-3F.next time out i'll be using goex so that should help out with a PRB load.mine is a 1/48" and i,ll say its a dream to carry...........karl

Landngroove 12-23-2010 12:30 PM

The T/C White Mountain Carbine is an excellent ML. The .50 caliber models came in 1 in 20" twist rates, and 1 in 38" twist rates. The early production ones had the 1 in 20" twist. The .45, and .54 caliber models all had a 1 in 48" twist rate. I own several .54's and they are very good patched round ball shooters. 80 to 90 grains of Goex FFG, with an .018" pillow ticking patch, Hoppes #9 Plus Black Powder Solvent And Patch Lube, with a .530" round ball work well. I have owned, and shot these ML's for years, and have never experienced a crack in the stock. You will like it !

Pioneer2 12-23-2010 06:07 PM

For the $150 price I'll adjust.Should be a lot nicer to carry.....................Harold ..I have both .530 and Maxi ball molds

Breechplug 12-23-2010 06:32 PM

I have to jump in on this one. A few weeks ago My Uncle who's a Big Coyboy Shooter and Gun Collector told me a Buddy of His has a TC 50cal White Mountain Carbine for sale, he has it. He said I can have it for $125.
I will see My Uncle on Christmas Day as we go there with the Family to Celebrate. Befor I decide to on not get this MLer is it something I should consider? I know nothing about this Model TC. Does the Breechplug remove from it or is it fixed? I see they have different Twist for the Barrels, wich Barrel shoots what and the best? I would really like to see inside the Barrel befor I decide to Purchase it so I know how well it's been taken care of that's why I wanted to know if the Breechplug can be removed for inspection. If not I can look down it with a light.
Also I think My Uncle said it has a shorter Barrel on it, Im 6'6" tall and I like a Longer MLer as it fit's me better so mabey this one is'nt something for me.
(BP)

sabotloader 12-23-2010 06:37 PM

Breechplug

Here you go - check this out

http://www.sportsmansreview.com/review.asp?x=66

Breechplug 12-23-2010 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 3746797)
Breechplug

Here you go - check this out

http://www.sportsmansreview.com/review.asp?x=66

Well Im glad I read this one, Thank's Mike. I mostly Hunt Deer anywhere from 0-175yds, the conditions very greatly from one area to the next. I see the 50cal White Mountain Carbine is only accurate out to 75yds???? after that it get's dicy! Now why would anyone want a MLer that cant do the job past 75yds? and cost over $400+
Sure if I only Hunt Thick areas and are limited to shots 75yds and less it would be a good choice, but I need a MLer that can deliver at close ranges and long. It still soes'nt make sence to me why a TC MLer is only made to shoot accurate out to 75yds, My CVA Staghorn (Non Mag) is accurate out to 125 and it only cost me $89...........I was excited about this one,,,,,,,does anyone else have one and can debate this case?
(BP)

kb1 12-24-2010 05:13 AM

breechplug;why would you be so quick to trust this mini review?it lacks so much information its kind of meaningless.how many differant load combo's did the reviewer try ?what was the twist of his gun?what was the load he did use?i also have a 1/20" .50 white mtn. carbine that i can shoot as well as any other open sighted muzzleloader i own.i've only tried 2 loads with it tho.70g vol. T7-3F with either a .40 200g harvester funnel pt. in a 50/40 crushrib or a 370g t/c maxi-ball.if we were all to believe negative reviews no one would buy a cva due to randy wakemans dubious/BS reviews...karl

PS;$125 for a white mtn in good shape is a great price and if you don't want it i'm interested:wink:

Breechplug 12-24-2010 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by kb1 (Post 3746971)
breechplug;why would you be so quick to trust this mini review?it lacks so much information its kind of meaningless.how many differant load combo's did the reviewer try ?what was the twist of his gun?what was the load he did use?i also have a 1/20" .50 white mtn. carbine that i can shoot as well as any other open sighted muzzleloader i own.i've only tried 2 loads with it tho.70g vol. T7-3F with either a .40 200g harvester funnel pt. in a 50/40 crushrib or a 370g t/c maxi-ball.if we were all to believe negative reviews no one would buy a cva due to randy wakemans dubious/BS reviews...karl

PS;$125 for a white mtn in good shape is a great price and if you don't want it i'm interested:wink:

That's the kind of reply I wanted from my post, anyone else??? And can the Breechplug be removed for cleaning or is it a permanant one?
Thank's kb1 and I'll let you know
(BP)