HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Scope options (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/336674-scope-options.html)

dirt1008 12-19-2010 03:37 PM

Scope options

What do you guys think, the Leupold Ultimateslam or Nikon Omega?

cayugad 12-19-2010 03:45 PM

I use a Nikon Omega and really like the scope. Excellent eye relief and of course Nikon quality. I have no experience with the other one.

Breechplug 12-19-2010 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by dirt1008 (Post 3744319)
What do you guys think, the Leupold Ultimateslam or Nikon Omega?

I have 2 Leupold Ultimate Slam Scopes, love em! My Opinion....the Leupold can be set for a 12 Gauge Shot Gun or a 20 Guage Shot Gun, it also can be set up for one using a 2 Pellet Charge of 100gr's or a 3 Pellet Charge of 150gr's. You just set the Dial to what you use then sight it in then use the appropriate mark on the Reticle for you yardage and your in business.
The one I use on My ACCURA is set up using the 2 Pellet Setting, even though Im using 110gr's of Pyro RS the marks are still real real close on the Reticle. The Omega Cant be set for this, it's set up for a 250gr Bullet, if you use a different weight bullet then you have to guestimate your hold on the Reticle.
Both Scopes are about the same in Price and I dont have a Nikon Omega to compare the Leupold to so this is just My Opinion
(BP)

dirt1008 12-19-2010 04:17 PM

Cayugad do you use other than 250gr bullets? How has the scope worked out with different loads?

sabotloader 12-19-2010 04:19 PM

dirt1008

My favorite scopes for a ML is an easy choice for me...

Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9x40 with 600 yard DOA and rainproof lenses
Leupold Ultimate Slam 3x9x40 with Ballistic Reticule

The Omega is a great scope but i really do not like it. For me the eye relief is just to long and when hunting and shooting with the sun at the right angle or place in the sky it really plays havoc for me to get a clear picture. It is like I have to pull the bill of my down and over the eye piece to get the shade. So how often would this problem happen - not very often but once with an animal out there would be enough...

lemoyne 12-19-2010 06:51 PM

I use and like the Omega Nikon I use it with 50/40 200gr bullets and 250 gr bullets and 300 gr bullets.
With the load s I use the 200 gr Lehigh hits in the center of the 250 yd target by using the 200yd circle the 250 shoots right on and the 300gr hits at the bottom of the 250 circle at 250 yds.
If you shoot the loads that shoot best for accuracy which is what I do none of the ballistic reticle will shoot dead on for different loads and bullet weights so you have to go out to the range and work with the, once you know where they shoot they all will work good I just happened to like the eye relief and the clarity of the Omega Nikon.
Both the scopes you mentioned are fine scope and will do the job.

CooperPhoenix 12-20-2010 02:43 PM

I have the ultimate slam, as mentioned the adjustability is a plus on the loopy and to my eye the luepold glass was a touch better.

7.62NATO 12-21-2010 05:22 AM

I really like my Leupold Ultimate Slam. The picture is crystal clear and it has held its zero despite a crushing direct blow to it. My only complaint (and I just hope there's something wrong with mine) is that the adjustment mechanisms have been awful. Like I said, the thing holds zero like a champ, but when it comes to sighting it, mine was a nightmare. I'd need to move 2" up at 100 yards, so I'd make 8 clicks up, and my group would move like 5" up and 4" left, even though i didn't touch the windage turret. I'm going to snap a video of this after the season and send it to Leupold and see if they have a good explanation. If not, I'm going to ask that they fix it.

I agree with SabotLoader about the extra-long (5") eye relief of the Omega. I personally don't care for it (narrows your FOV), and I'm sure he's correct about the possibility of glare. However, it is on sale at Natchez for $180. That would be a hard deal to pass by. Though I think I might.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...eam%20RealTree

crazedbowhunter 12-21-2010 06:26 AM

I have the nikon omega I recieved as a gift and I don't care for the narrow field of view, I like the larger field of view of the leupold. Also with how fine the crosshairs are, they can sometimes seem to disappear when hunting in brush and its getting close to dark. Nice scope though if you mostly hunt field edges where you dont have to deal with brush.

dirt1008 12-21-2010 06:43 AM

I really appreciate all of the info from everybody. I was leaning towards the Leupold and that's more than likely what I'll buy.