HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   New to muzzleloading with ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/336543-new-muzzleloading.html)

BROX 12-17-2010 06:04 PM

New to muzzleloading with ?

Ok not totally new i've had my Triumph for 2 yrs and never really shot it.Started shooting it more and was only shooting 100 grs of the triple 7 pellets.I have decide to get a BDC scope of some sort and they say 150grs with a 250gr bullet but when you look on Hogdens site they suggest not using more then 2 pellets.So what is correct and what load are you TC Triumph guys using with a 250gr Shockwave sabot(Right now i have it set with 150grs 3 pellets and the 250gr sabots set at 50yds open sights in anticapation of getting a scope) .I only have a max of 150yds to shoot and was looking into a Nikon Omega scope or a Cabelas powderhorn but i don't need the 225 and 250 marks.What would be a decent enexpensive 40mm scope?

thanks for the help

cayugad 12-17-2010 06:52 PM

Well personally, I don't like a BDC but if I had to use one, then it would be the Nikon Omega. As for you not needing the 200 & 250 marks, well that is not a big deal. Just use the ones you need.

Actually if you shoot 100 grains of powder and still want to use a BDC nothing is written that the second cross hair has to be 150 and the third 200, etc... What if the first main cross hair was 75 yards, the second was 122 yards, the third was 168 yards and the next was say 202? If you knew that, you would know what line to use. All you need to know is the range to the target. Most game animals do not walk out at exactly 100, 150, 200, etc. So why does your scope and load have to follow that?

For instance, one day I was shoot (a good group too) a white paper dinner plate at 150 yards. The scope was a 1.5-4.5x32mm scope. No BDC, in fact it was a $69.00 scope. I learned that using the fat part of the bottom post, and setting that at the top of the plate, the bullets hit the center of the plate. I sight my rifles in very close.

One of my favorite scopes is a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm and they do make that in a 3-9x40mm with and without a BDC.

builder459 12-17-2010 07:02 PM

with 150 yd max shots i don't see the need for the BDC myself.nikon has some nice shotgun scopes with good eye relief for less money.

lemoyne 12-17-2010 07:54 PM

First the load: that is a magnum capable gun the max loads 150 gr of regular pellets or 2 magnum pellets 150 gr of loose pyrodex 120 gr of 777 or Blackhorn 209.
Some suggestions:
Those heavy loads some time spoil the accuracy 110 or 115 gr of 777 of Blackhorn will usually give the best results, if pyrodex try 120 to 130 gr or 130 gr of pellets: the powder that's blown out of the barrel adds mostly to recoil.
On the scope while I like the Nikon Omega and have several it really does not sound like you need the BDC. You need to research PBR Point blank range.
By sighting your gun in for 140 yds you will be 2 inches high at 100 and 1 inch low at 150. For deer or other big game this is close enough to aim strait at them because of the size of the kill area, that's why its called point blank Range.
I suggest taking your gun to the range and group shooting until you find what shoots the best then setting it up for PBR and double checking by shooting the 150 yd range.

Bonner1 12-18-2010 03:56 AM

I agree with Lemoyne. Definitely research the concept of "point blank range" - it really makes sense and I just discovered it this year and felt like a real dumba$$ for not knowing it before now. Lets just say I had to learn it the hard way cause I didnt do my homework in time and missed the biggest buck of my life because I wasnt educated on ballistics of my 308 at long range. Still haunts me. Silver lining is I shot just under him, didnt clip a leg etc and caught him on a cam two days later. ANyway point is - do your homework and know your drops for all guns at the very longest distance you feel competent shooting. I just procrastinated and paid for it.
The BDC scopes are not dead on at each yardage by any stretch - Way to many variables. yes it will get you in the neighborhood but it is amazing how much a bullet can drop from 150 - 200 and especially from 200-250 (not that you want to be shooting a muzzleloader that far at first but also even for your regular rifles.)

I did not like the Nikon scope's circular reticles due to the circles. I prefer crosshairs. Nice this about Nikon is all the holdover points it will give you based on all the circles it has.

I, like you, will have maybe a max shot between 150-200yds. Which makes the Nikon BDC abit overkill. So here is what I got and I think you will like it as well - a Redfield 4-12 x 40 with accurange reticle (Leupold bought Redfield so its a quality scope at a fraction of the price). Back in the 70s and erly 80s Redfield was like "THE" scope in my parts of the woods then they were forgotten. The acurange reticle doesnt work for 50 cal but it provides a circle around the main crosshair that you can use as holdunder and holdover points and under the circle surrounding the main crosshair is a main second holdover point and then you can use the tip of the thick bottom duplex as another really long distance holdover point. You will have to do some testing to find out what these marks tr and anslate to your. For example if you zero in at 100 go to 150 with full power on scope and fire three shots at the target using your main crosshair. You will shoot low but raise the scope up to see if the group matches any of the holdover points on your scope. If not you will have an idea of where that point is for a future shot. Same at 200, etc. Some people and some BDC scopes are designed where you have to adjust power of your scope to coordinate with ceratin holdover points (when I am in the stand and a big one walks out - I dont want to have to sit there and adjust power on scope or try to recall which of the 6 or 7 holdover points to use. This is why the "point blank range" also simplifies things so much (especially is you are using a plain duplex scope).

By the way - I shoot a triumph Bone collector. I order a one piece medium extended mount for 1" tube direct from Talley and am really pleased with it. Word of advice - buy the tourque wrench (especially) and levels if you are doing it yourself.

ADVWannabee 12-18-2010 04:59 AM

I have a TC Encore and Knight Revolution and I put the Nikon Omega BDC on both even though most of my shots will be at 100 yards or less. I am only shooting 100 gr of powder too. I went ahead and got the BDC scope because it wasn't much difference in price and it gives me the chance to shoot longer ranges if I get the chance. All I have to do is go to the range and sight in with 150 gr if I am going to hunt somewhere where long shots are possible.