Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Breechplug's 2010 Late Season MLer Buck >

Breechplug's 2010 Late Season MLer Buck

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breechplug's 2010 Late Season MLer Buck

Old 12-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Breechplug's 2010 Late Season MLer Buck

Well Guy's today was a LONG One! I started off on the Tracks of the wounded Buck that I found last evening in the Snow at Daylight. He was Bedded only about 50yds from where I left his Tracks Last Night. I Jumped Him in the Thick Red Brush and all I could see was his Rear as He ran off, I could'nt get a shot it was way too thick.
I chased him on My Hands and Knees through the Thickest Stuff you'd ever seen, each time he'd run about 100-150yds and Bed. Just as I get near, up he'd go and run off, too thick to shoot.
I did manage one time to run Him out of the Thicker Stuff to My Buddy Jim who was in a Stand in the Not so Thick stuff, He had him in his sights with his TC Oncore at 45 yds and Fired. He hit a Locust Tree. I could'nt believe what that 240gr XTP did to the Tree, pics to follow.
I managed one more time to run Him by another Buddy Moony, he shot and missed too! Dang!!!!! But the worst part was after he shot he went to reload and his spent Primer fell into his action (He did'nt know it) he put in a new Primer after he reloaded and it would'nt close (TC Triumph) so he FORCED it and Broke Off The Trigger Guard. He Was'nt too Happy! As of now Im waiting to see if a Local Gun Shop that Carries TC's will swap out one for Him, it looks like if you just remove the Pin he can replace it.
After about 4 hours of chasing the Wounded Buck I was Beat! I was still in the Thick Stuff searching for the Buck when I spied a Bedded Buck, I thought at first it was Him but was'nt sure. I scoped Him and saw he was a Decent Buck. He was about 35-40 yds away and the only shot I had was a Neck Shot. I aimed the ACCURA, put the Cross Hairs on His Neck and Fired!
He quickly rose to his feet and I saw the blood Pouring out of his neck, he ran about 5 yds and stumbled, then fell over. I quickly reloaded.
My One Buddy who was near by in a Stand came over and I said You go Look at Him and Tell me if He's as Nice as I think, He did and said Yep He's a Good One! I went over and looked and was Thrilled. Now we had to walk a Mile to the Trucks, get the Sled and go back for the Buck. It took about a Hour to Sled Him out of the Thick Stuff and then off to My Buddy's Barn for the Offical Weigh In and Tape.
He Weighed 178lbs and had a 21" Inside Spread. He has 5 Points on the Right and 4 on the Left. As Windy and Snowy as our Whole Hunting Season has been and the Lack of seeing as many Deer as we have because of it I was very pleased to take that Buck. Today started off with a Temp of 13 Degrees with 25-30mph Winds, with Minus Zero Wind Chills.
I Used My CVA ACCURA with a Leupold Ultimate Slam MLer Scope, 240gr XTP with MMP HPH-24 Sabot and 110gr's of Pyro and a Win W209 Primer.
After all that excitement we had to cease the looking for the Wounded Buck, but Tomorrow we'll try again. Im thining we just may get him, were gonna have 2 more guy's to help.
I cant wait for My Wife Connie to get Home and show Her the Pics and RUB it in, She's been Rubbin it in to me for a few weeks now about Her 8pt, Mines Bigger! But in all seriousness that's not Important, Mabey Just A Little.....What made My Day was a Fine Late Season MLer Hunt, Im Tired! A Long Day!
(BP)
Old 12-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Banned

LOL congrats on the hunt! Cant wait to see the pics.

XTP you say? Hmmmm... LOL
Old 12-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great job BP....can't wait to see the pics! Sounds like you guys got some darn good bucks around there. I hope someone catches up with gimpy.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations!!! Now go and get the other big one.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:38 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

good job breechplug,congrats and goodluck tomorrow.........karl
Old 12-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

Have not read your post yet - to busy getting these up for you - soon as I get them posted I will go back and read...

But think about how well traveled these photos are - New York to Idaho and back to some server someplace in the south...

Here is the Composite of the 12 photos you sent....

The animal...

Ron and the harvest....

Old 12-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job Ron!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Banned

haha!! wow! Heck of a deer and one bloody trail to follow!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW!!! that really is a great buck.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first 3 Pics are of a Locust Tree My Buddy Jim shot insted of the Wounded Buck we were chasing. He used a 240gr XTP 100gr's of Pyro out of His TC Oncore. I cant believe what that XTP did to the Locust Tree, if anyone knows how hard a Locust tree is than you'll know what Im talking about.
The next 2 Pics are Me with My Buck after I got Him. Then the Buck as he laid after the shot. Then My Hunting Buddies Jim in the Front Measureing the Buck, Moony in the middle and Nick in the back.
Then Me with My Buck at the Barn hanging from the scale. A pic of the Bucks 21" Inside Spread. Me with My Buck again. And the Bucks Bladder with Bottles waiting to fill. I save all My Bucks Urine to use during Bow Season, that stuff expensive, and at least I know mines the real stuff. I got 2 full+ Bottles out of it. DONT Tell CONNIE (My Wife) that I did it in the Kitchen Sink she'd KILL ME! Good thing She's at Work!
And the last 2 Big Pics are me and My Buck after I came upon Him and Him laying as I found Him after the shot.
THANK YOU Sabotloader for Posting the Pics for me!
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.