Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet lubes

Old 12-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

Default Bullet lubes

I made a bunch of my 360gr minies over the past 2 days. Took the Apex out and with 70gr BH209 it loves the bullet out to 75 yards. Problem is, my first and second shots touch, and then when i reload shot #3 its HARD to get down the other half of the barrel.

Alox leaves the entire bore sticky, bore butter leaves the last half of the bore hard to load.

Go with no lube and see?

Right now, shot #3 is killing my group.

Even switched to the cooler W209 primer and the same darn thing happens.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

It's not a barrel cooling issue is it? Are you shooting each load consistently, meaning are you quickly loading after each shot or are they spaced out evenly? I do not think it is a powder issue as the second one is touching the first. Can't be the scope or sights, I assume you don't need to swab after the 2nd shot but maybe do that and see what happens. How does the 2nd shot load? It is a rather odd quest on the 3rd shot that it keeps happening. You may need to change the old saying to "second time is a charm"
Old 12-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Banned

a few minute cool down between each shot.

Second shot loads a little stiff but on shot 3, holy moly!

I am going to dry no lube tomorrow and see.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jon, I don't know if you have seen these or not.
There are more lube recipes here than you can shake a stick at.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26524
Art
Old 12-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gotbuck
It's not a barrel cooling issue is it? Are you shooting each load consistently, meaning are you quickly loading after each shot or are they spaced out evenly? I do not think it is a powder issue as the second one is touching the first. Can't be the scope or sights, I assume you don't need to swab after the 2nd shot but maybe do that and see what happens. How does the 2nd shot load? It is a rather odd quest on the 3rd shot that it keeps happening. You may need to change the old saying to "second time is a charm"
Seems to me if the first and second shots are consistent, why not swab after each shot or after every second if the third is so difficult?
Old 12-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by builder459
Seems to me if the first and second shots are consistent, why not swab after each shot or after every second if the third is so difficult?
Took the words out of my mouth. I had the same issues. Started swabbing and enjoyed shooting.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerseyhunter
Took the words out of my mouth. I had the same issues. Started swabbing and enjoyed shooting.
I really don't see this as a issue!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Banned

because im using blackhorn209. I was going to try dry bullets today but woke up to heavy snowfall. wooohooo!! First snow since.... october?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

What was your original primer choice? I never shot BH209 but know it is clean burning where you do not need to swab, if you have any fouling I suspect it from the primer.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

BH209 is not friendly with all lubes. Liquid Alox and/or Lyman SuperMoly have been good with mine so far...or a combination of the 2.

The least amount needed seems best and liquid Alox only leaves a light film when its dry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.