Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
knight wolverine/ sabot for a gold dot >

knight wolverine/ sabot for a gold dot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

knight wolverine/ sabot for a gold dot

Old 12-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default knight wolverine/ sabot for a gold dot

My wife has a knight wolverine and the bullets and sabots that came with it loaded,but seemed to want to come apart. they were 260 gr all lead bullets with a black sabot.anyway i have a bunch of 250 gold dots and CR sabots which load way to easy in that rifle. what are most of you wolverine shooters using for sabots.prefer not to have to buy a lot of various kinds.thanks
Old 12-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

builder459

I believe you are going to need the HPH-24 or Regular Harvester - I would suggest the regular Harvester as it has the longer petals and will come off the 250 quicker and more smoothly. Then there really is a chance that you might need the HPH-12... It was built for the older Knights with the larger bores, what Knight called a .504 bore.

I have not tried them yet but I believe my Knight MK is going to end up using the thicker HPH-12.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
builder459

I believe you are going to need the HPH-24 or Regular Harvester - I would suggest the regular Harvester as it has the longer petals and will come off the 250 quicker and more smoothly. Then there really is a chance that you might need the HPH-12... It was built for the older Knights with the larger bores, what Knight called a .504 bore.

I have not tried them yet but I believe my Knight MK is going to end up using the thicker HPH-12.
Hmmm , i have some 250 grain SW bullets with supplied black sabots that came with my triumph.what is that sabot?, they wont even begin to go down that lil GMB barrel lol.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Spike

I shoot the 250 GD and use the yellow sabot. I don't remember what brand the were as I put all the sabots & bullets together last year. They shoot great.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

builder459

i have some 250 grain SW bullets with supplied black sabots that came with my triumph.what is that sabot?,
Those undoubtably are HPH-24 and they would be the midsize sabot... + you are saying the thinner sabot CR is to loose... You might have a problem...

The yellow sabot that Dan is talking about is most likely a Barnes sabot built by MMP but it is built for a boat tail bullet and it is a copy of the HPH-24 other than it is a built to hold a boat tail bullet.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product.../spit-fire-mz/
Old 12-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
builder459

Those undoubtably are HPH-24 and they would be the midsize sabot... + you are saying the thinner sabot CR is to loose... You might have a problem...

The yellow sabot that Dan is talking about is most likely a Barnes sabot built by MMP but it is built for a boat tail bullet and it is a copy of the HPH-24 other than it is a built to hold a boat tail bullet.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product.../spit-fire-mz/
Yes the GD and the CR are way to loose what i might try is the SW sabot with the GD bullet and see how that works?.when she first got the rifle i tried those SW with supplied sabots and they were much to tight.even the knight 260 gr lead bullets that came with the gun were tight, they loaded but the sabot seemed cheap and flimsy.they grouped pretty good though.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
the knight 260 gr lead bullets that came with the gun were tight, they loaded but the sabot seemed cheap and flimsy.they grouped pretty good though.
I shot those out of my mk-85 and they grouped well too. They don't perform well on deer though from what I've seen. I use the Knight 260gr Jacketed sabots and they shoot incredible out of my gun, and perform very well for me on deer also. For what its worth if you are trying bullets.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

builder459

The black sabot that came with the Knight bullets were made by Knight and they would measure .506/8 loaded. They were made to go down the .504 bore.

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-13-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try a 458 bullet in the Harvester Crushrib if you have the sabots. They should load very well in a .504. Snug but not brutal to load. Sierra or Rem 300gr 458 HP are pretty popular and fairly cheap.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 12-13-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

What i want to do is use the 250 gr gold dots i have already. i didn't like the looks of the 260 gr bullet that came with the knight rifle.i will try the hph-24's that came with the SW bullets with the gold dots which are bonded.i will find a combo that will work in it.thanks everyone for the input.