Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Accura vs Accura V2 >

Accura vs Accura V2

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accura vs Accura V2

Old 12-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Spike

Default Accura vs Accura V2

Its me again, I honestly dont know what to do.....$40 bucks difference between the two guns.....Im thinkin I wanna shoot pellets out of the gun while hunting but now I dont know..why not powder...I dont even know what kinda powder is available locally here anyway without ordering something special.....Some people are telling me Black Horn powder doesnt always go off in the V2. Seems thats what everybody is useing on this site. I dont wanna be drilling anything I just wanna pull the trigger and see some smoke!!! Id like to get a gun, get it scoped and ready to shoot before Jan season here in Ohio. Im ordering either the Accura or the V2 Monday...Give all your advice.....Didnt know it was gonna be this hard...The ol TC Renegade just shot fine with 80 grains of Black powder and some maxi balls !!!My eyes need a scope, I want a gun scoped and be able to get a nice group at 100 yards ...thats all!!
Old 12-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Banned

I got some T7 pellets and Pyrodex Pellets coming in along with a bunch of ammo, I'll be able to tell you what shoots good.

Right now i just shoot blackhorn in my V2
Old 12-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buckeye guy
........................... I dont wanna be drilling anything...................................... My eyes need a scope, I want a gun scoped and be able to get a nice group at 100 yards ...thats all!!
It is my understanding that both will shoot any powder except Black Horn reliably. From experience i know both are accurate.

I shoot Black Horn reliably in both the Accura, and the V2, but i did do some drilling, and machining.

To me the choice is simple. If you don't shoot BH, either of these rifles will work for you. If you wish to shoot BH, then both of these rifles need work done on their breech plugs, or as you say 'drilling'.

If you wish to shoot BH, but don't want any 'drilling' done, then you should purchase a TC. Here is an example of an Omega.

Getting the 'drilling' done is no big deal. Also, it is a one time thing. Which ever CVA you choose, you can easily be ready to use it by January. The TC will be ready to shoot BH, when you open the box.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:46 AM
Fork Horn

buckeye guy,
I have V1 and have NO experience with the V2!

I love my Accura! It is my first muzzleloader. I have shot both pellets and loose powder and different bullets with all the same accuracy; great!! No problems! That is other than the clean-up and this is where the BH209 could be an advantage. However, since it appears the Accuras do not like BH209, I guess I won't be using it; I'm not ready to give up the accuracy and dependability. Lately I've been using Pyrodex loose powder and T/C Surefire bullets 230 gr. .50 cal and just love their performance on deer. I pull the trigger and the next thing you know I'm cutting venison. Knowing what I know about these Accuras I would do it again!!!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Spike

You will enjoy either one. If there is one selling point that one gun has over the other just buy that gun! You will enjoy shooting it and experimenting with different powder and loads. Make up your mind before they come out with a V3-then you will really have a dilemma. My V1 likes bh209!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

If there is minimal difference in price between the two models, jump to the newer model. So I would go with the V2. I would forget about BlackHorn 209 for now and just get some Pyrodex RS and a quality projectile.

I bet a couple days on the range and you would be ready to hunt. Then when the new improved breech plugs come out, and they will... then if you want to make the jump to BlackHorn do so. Also you will have the quick release speed breech which to me would be a nice thing.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Spike

Just purchased the V2 here a few weeks ago. No experice with the V1. I can tell you that accuracy is good with the right rounds (see my post CVA Slickloads vs Hornady SST). 1" groups at 50 and 100 yards. I used T7 pellets with powerbelts first. But it was hard to get rounds to seat in the weapon after two rounds. I was told that a shooter "must" swab between every round with powerbelts. Good luck doing that between two rounds in a hunting situation. So I switched to Pyrodex 50/50 pellets and CVA slick loads. I can get 5 rounds out before it is very difficult to load.

I called CVA about the "hard to seat" the round issue. Basically the tolerances are tight on the weapon. So there is a price for the accuracy.

On the range one day a guy handed me a .50 cal, 245 grain TC round (cannot remember what kind). I could NOT seat the round without cleaning the barrel. As a matter of fact we both feared that I had double loaded the rounds. It wasn't the case.

Here is my plus/minus list for the V2:

Plus:
Accurate!
Good customer service.
Barrel is supper easy to clean. That thing is like glass.
Starting a round is easy given the configuration of the barrel (smoth ring at the end fo the barrel).

Minus:
*QRBP - Don't count on it. I have been using CVA's anti seize stick. Sometimes I can use my figers. Three times now, I have to use a pair of plyers.
*Pressed in end of the ram rod is falling out. (This is partially where the good customer service assesment comes in, they shipped a new one immediately).
*On one occasion the firing pin was stuck in the "out" position. I coulnd't close the breach with the 209 primer inserted and in the dark of the morning before a hunt couldn't figure out why. I am fortunate the that weapon didn't fire when I tried to close the breach!
* High maintenace: started to rust just a little over 1 hour after leaving the firing range (stainless steel model).
* Accessories do not work/fall apart. I bought a T-Handle that stripped out day 1. Their 209 primer loading gadget didn't work. I had to spend time shaving plastic to make it work.

In the neutral category
* High maintenance, must keep the barrel clean so rounds can seat.

I will take the accuracy over easy to load though.

As for the scope: Nikon Omega 1.65 - 5 X 32. I wanted to purchase a Burris scope. But the 5" of eye clearance on the Nikon won me over. I don't like getting busted in the forehead with a scope. At 1.65 I can fire on an animal that is directly infront of me.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by rlmx; 12-12-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

I bought the Accura Stainless realtree from cabelas last Jan when they were on sale to make room for the V2's. As others have said the gun is wonderfully accurate. I don't shoot often, so I use 3 30 gr (90 grs) T7 pellets. With Hornady .240 XTP's, win 209 primer. It has bangflopped 2 deer this year. But for $40 difference, I would probably buy the V2. Good luck
Old 12-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Spike

Thanks everybody, Not too crazy about hearing that the stainless steel rusting issue, everybody likes the accuracy....Guess I'll get the V2 for 40 bucks more and stay away from blackhorn powder for now...Guess I'll start with pyrodex pellets and get comfotable for deer season and then play with it with diff loads and such after the season THANKS EVERONE !!!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Banned

i havent had any rust issues unless it gets wet from rain or such. I got some Gun Shield and THAT stuff is the best investment ever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.