Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What do you guys think of the hornady ftx bullets? >

What do you guys think of the hornady ftx bullets?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What do you guys think of the hornady ftx bullets?

Old 12-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default What do you guys think of the hornady ftx bullets?

I was wondering if any of you have ever shot the hornady ftx bullets out of your muzzleloader? I found a couple I thought I would try with the harvester crushed rib sabot. Just seeing what you guys thought about them. Here is a couple links to the ones I was looking at.

http://www.hornady.com/store/44-Cal-.430-225-gr-FTX/

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/56808-1.html
Old 12-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Banned

cant comment on the .44cals but i shot a few of the .500"s bare back like a conical in my CVA Accura and the group for the first try out with them was outstanding. A very affordable conical should they fit the bore good.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

On a rare occasions you can be looking at something like this..

I should have added they are extremely accurate....

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-11-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Spike

they make the 265 grain .430 with a crimp ring running around the middle haven't been able to shoot them yet might hold together better with the crimp ring also soil and sand aren't as forgiving as body tissue
Old 12-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bottom line there are a lot better bullets out there! do some searching and ask questions here on this site!
Old 12-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are a good long range bullet and very accurate like the Shock Wave, The 250 gr is designed for a 45 caliber rifle which shoots at 2200 FPS which is right around top muzzleloader velocities.
Like the XTP they are not bonded so if you hit big bones or hard soil or rocks the can shed the jacket. Personally I have had good luck with them but so far the only game I have taken with them has been a couple of boars.
There are better bullets out there but the prices on some of them will stop you. The one that has better terminal ballistics and a good price is the Gold Dot or as they call them now the Deep Curl the 250 gr is very very good on deer to 150 yds but for long range I would use the Shock Wave or FTX.