Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Slickloads vs Hornady SST >

CVA Slickloads vs Hornady SST

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Slickloads vs Hornady SST

Old 12-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Spike

Default CVA Slickloads vs Hornady SST

Fired two types of rounds, both .50 cal, 250 grain out of a new CVA Accura V2 at 100 yards with 100 grains of 50/50 Pyrodex (a pair of pellets) - can't figure out why there is so much variance?

I checked and double checked. I put a patch through the barrel after each firing. Thinking that fatigue could be an issue I recreated the situation the next day. Same results. Are the SSTs just less forgiving?

In the first photo attached the marks in red are the Slickload rounds. The marks circled in blue are the SST rounds. The SSTs are all over the map. The CVA rounds are pretty nicely grouped for 100 yards. One thing that I did notice is that the SSTs present more resitance when loading the weapon. I am just warming up to the weapon - is it just me?

By the way - the "solo" mark in red was the first round fired. After that the scope was adjusted (a new scope), resulting in the group of marks circled in red.

The second photo is of 3 (yes it is three) CVA rounds at 50 yards out of the same weapon one week earlier. I am thinking that the SSTs and this weapon just do not get along.
Attached Thumbnails CVA Slickloads vs Hornady SST-cvavshorn.jpg   CVA Slickloads vs Hornady SST-pc110050-2-.jpg  

Last edited by rlmx; 12-11-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Banned

The bands you see on the CVA Slick loads act kind of like the rings on a conical bullet, the rifling cuts into those resulting in an easier to load sabot.

Good shootin though either way, What kind of powder charge?
Old 12-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Spike

A pair of Pyrodex 50/50 pellets. I forgot to add that.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Banned

Okay that looks like a good load. I only shot 3 or 5 packages of the 250 SLS's but i mainly used blackhorn.