Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The Traveling Breech Plug >

The Traveling Breech Plug

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Traveling Breech Plug

Old 12-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Spike

Yea nice job there Ron...
Old 12-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
So that is a complete new plug you made? It's not a modified version right? I thought you were modifying the plugs, not making new one's. The reason i said cheap metal, was because the CVA plugs are.
Yes, this plug was not a modified CVA plug. It was made from a grade 8 bolt to fit CVA rifles, and what it does, is mimic the TC plug that works perfectly with BH209. An added benefit, when one makes a plug, is one can adjust the headspace to get a 'crush' on whatever primer one chooses to use. My rifle has zero blow by using the STS primer, because that is what i desired. If i choose, i can mill it to work 'perfectly' with a W209.

I failed to 'explain' any of this to the CVA fella. He doesn't have a caliper, and thus had no way to understand why he was having issues with the plug. I should have been more instructive.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Banned

The problem was #1 the rolled threads and #2 Winchester W209 primers swelling in the pocket and blow by.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Yes, this plug was not a modified CVA plug. It was made from a grade 8 bolt to fit CVA rifles, and what it does, is mimic the TC plug that works perfectly with BH209. An added benefit, when one makes a plug, is one can adjust the headspace to get a 'crush' on whatever primer one chooses to use. My rifle has zero blow by using the STS primer, because that is what i desired. If i choose, i can mill it to work 'perfectly' with a W209.

I failed to 'explain' any of this to the CVA fella. He doesn't have a caliper, and thus had no way to understand why he was having issues with the plug. I should have been more instructive.
Thanks for the info. I really did have a mis-conception of what you were doing. Making a new plug, with better materials is a great idea. I think all people should go this route instead of drilling out factory plugs. Obviously just my opinion.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
The problem was #1 the rolled threads and #2 Winchester W209 primers swelling in the pocket and blow by.
Had you tried the CCI primer, you may have experienced a 'perfect' fit. If that didn't work, using the STS, might have been the answer. From what you wrote, and write, the W209 was too long for that plug, and your rifle. Alas, any opportunity to find an answer has passed us by.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

No i said the W209 did not give a crush fit, the pocket was drilled to deep. I did some experimenting with unscrewing my firing pin bushing and that would have done it but the amount of bushing that was sticking out was just to much.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
No i said the W209 did not give a crush fit, the pocket was drilled to deep. I did some experimenting with unscrewing my firing pin bushing and that would have done it but the amount of bushing that was sticking out was just to much.
I understand what you wrote. I agree you didn't have a 'crush' fit. What i am surmising is you were experiencing a 'smushed' fit. Had you tried a CCI, you may have seen a 'crush' fit. I can only surmise at this time, but i believe the reason you found the W209 to stick and leak, is because they were 'smushed' i.e. they were too long for your rifle, and that plug combined. Alas, we will never know.

One thing i know for sure, is the primer pocket was not drilled too deep. That was the second thing i checked when the plug arrived here. The plug was/is 0.012" longer than an OEM plug. Had the primer pocket been drilled too deep, you wouldn't have been able to get your fingernail under the rim of the spent primer to remove it.

I was remiss in not warning you of the possibility that the plug might be too long for your rifle. For that, i am at fault.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

There was no crush fit PERIOD, i backed out my firing pin bushing a good deal in order to get it to tighten up any.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned

Just to show you what i mean i used my V2 as an example

Firing pin bushing screwed in tight,

Bushing unscrewed One full turn.

Depending how tight you want the primer, you adjust this little by little until you find the right spot that you like. On this one i gave it a Crush fit. In order to close the rifle and **** it, it must be slapped firmly shut or else you get this, This is just closing it quietly.

Slam it firmly shut and you get this,

On my Accura and the custom plug, in order for me to get a tight primer fit, that bushing had to be unscrewed so much that the bushing was wobbly.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 12-08-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe your gun's frame has been stretched? I sure don't like the angle between the barrel and the breech plug in that third picture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.