Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Round Balls - XTP's - Deep Curls >

Round Balls - XTP's - Deep Curls

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Round Balls - XTP's - Deep Curls

Old 12-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Banned

i had a high lung shot at 140 yards on an elk with a simple 230gr round ball and she still bled great.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
TNHagies

I defending anybody or thing but fact is I am not sure of that. I know I have made that shot with a 260 grain Nolser and Last week with a 200 grain Lehigh and believe there was not lack of blood in either case.
I'm not going to say you're wrong. I'm just speaking from my experience. I've shot two deer with Deep Curls (.452 300g) this year, both were higher shots than I intended (about middle ways up). One ran about 40 yards, the other about 50 or so. Neither bled much (just sprinkles about the size of #4 shot) between the shot and where they piled up. I'm not going to blame that on the bullet, I believe if I would have made a better shot, I would have got a better blood trail.

I still have 2 doe tags left and will fill those the week after Christmas with the same Deep Curls. Hopefully I'll make better shots on those

EDIT: I think one reason people vary so much on their opinions of bullets derives from the fact that rarely do two deer act the same after being shot.

Last edited by TNHagies; 12-08-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

TNHagies

EDIT: I think one reason people vary so much on their opinions of bullets derives from the fact that rarely do two deer act the same after being shot.
Amen!
Old 12-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

He could test bullets to see about accuracy, wound channels, knock down power, etc. And at the same time have fun hunting hogs. And getting rid of the critters from what I read.
My next wild hog will be shot using the Barnes 225 grain .429 bullet and my old CVA StagHorn.

This year a young friend shot a 7 by 7 bull elk using one of the Harvester 280 grain .430 hard cast bullets that i gave him. That bullet did exit but did not expand. That flat nose bullet did something to tear the elks lungs to shreds.

Way back when i killed a lot of whitetail deer using military ball ammo: i never noticed any difference in effectiveness when compared with Winchester Silvertips or Remington Core Lokt bullets.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

One ran about 40 yards, the other about 50 or so. Neither bled much (just sprinkles about the size of #4 shot) between the shot and where they piled up.
Heck TN. I consider any shot through the mid body that doesn't ruin anything more than a few ribs with the deer going no more than 50 yards a very successful shot.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Here is the media.

Here is the .430 300g XTP which was found in the bottom of the third jug. It's pieces weighed a total of 250g.

Now, here is the 300g Deep Curl, which weighs 262g, and penetrated through 4 jugs.

I kno what bullet I would want to shoot between the two. Deep Curl is away better bullet.Just from what I can see from this test..
Old 12-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by falcon
My next wild hog will be shot using the Barnes 225 grain .429 bullet and my old CVA StagHorn.

This year a young friend shot a 7 by 7 bull elk using one of the Harvester 280 grain .430 hard cast bullets that i gave him. That bullet did exit but did not expand. That flat nose bullet did something to tear the elks lungs to shreds.

Way back when i killed a lot of whitetail deer using military ball ammo: i never noticed any difference in effectiveness when compared with Winchester Silvertips or Remington Core Lokt bullets.
I sure can FMJ wont open up and really dont Shock the animal,also they really dont leave alot of a blood trail.I have shot deer with AK-47s and alot of different kind of calibers. Now the winchester Silvertip the orginal one not the failsafe nosler bullet but the cheap silvertip they are junk n Frag Up my buddy shot a Bear 480lb.Dressed black bear with them at 20 yards in the front shoulder and didnt do nothing to it but make it mad with a 30.06 180g silvertip that was in the evening.The next day no blood trail we followed the tracks in the leaves left from the weight of the bear,jumped it up he shot it 3 more times.Still didnt die I handed him my 300 remington ultra mag and 1 shot from it,it was over.Oh this was in Pa some of my friends hold County records for bears in Pa not State records,but County..
Old 12-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by falcon

Plus military ammo is made for shooting armor not flesh well most is.I done alkind of testing with military ammo,but cant get into to that..
Old 12-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Spike

Whats up Z ?
Old 12-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Spike

Not much hey I'll hit you up later D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.