HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   my m/l buck (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/335743-my-m-l-buck.html)

WV Hunter 12-06-2010 01:18 PM

my m/l buck

Hey guys

Thought I would share the 9pt I got with my m/l 3 weeks ago here in VA. He's a pretty nice buck where I live...too nice to pass up for sure. He weighed 123 dressed, and I'm pretty sure he's 3.5. I'll age him better once I do the euro mount. I normally bowhunt alot more than gun or m/l, on this day I decided to change it up and take the m/l....and he came by following a doe at about 50yds. :happy0001:

My 13yo son was supposed to go with me that morning, but he decided not to go. Boy was he bummed when I called him to bring the truck to pick up my deer. He learned a valuable lesson that day....you can't kill one if your at home playing xbox :)

(he just turned 13 so he's still got kid brain, LOL)

WOODTICK49 12-06-2010 01:22 PM

nice buck. I would not pass him up if he came by me.

cayugad 12-06-2010 01:28 PM

that is a dandy buck. He'd of never walked past my stand.

Semisane 12-06-2010 01:29 PM

That's a nice one for sure WV Hunter. Congratulations. I would pop a cap on him in a heartbeat.

rafsob 12-06-2010 01:32 PM

Nice buck pal. I have been hunting in Charlotte county and have nailed one doe. I have seen lots of deer, but nothing I could put a bead on.

I will be going back up to hunt camp and hope to puta couple more deer in my freezer.

Where in Virginia are you hunting?

WV Hunter 12-06-2010 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by rafsob (Post 3735458)
Nice buck pal. I have been hunting in Charlotte county and have nailed one doe. I have seen lots of deer, but nothing I could put a bead on.

I will be going back up to hunt camp and hope to puta couple more deer in my freezer.

Where in Virginia are you hunting?

I'm up near the top of VA, near WV. Mountain deer. The county I hunt in just doesn't grow em big, unfortunately. If you get a buck that goes 110", you've done pretty darn good. I also hunt alot in WV just across the line....same thing there.

kb1 12-06-2010 01:52 PM

very nice,congrats..........karl

onetohunt 12-06-2010 01:57 PM

nice deer congrats

johnnyo 12-06-2010 02:29 PM

:party:congrats, from across the line!

Semisane 12-06-2010 02:37 PM

The county I hunt in just doesn't grow em big, unfortunately. If you get a buck that goes 110", you've done pretty darn good
Exactly right WV Hunter. A "trophy" must be judged by the local environment.

Here's the best buck I've taken in twelve years of hunting our 900 acre piney woods lease.

He's a true trophy by our standards - a monster.

I've never scored a deer. But just for the heck of it I scored this rack a little while ago using the B&C on-line score calculator (didn't fudge a bit). He scored a whopping 99.

It's unlikely I'll ever shoot a better one in our area. But go 30 miles West to the black soil of the Mississippi River bottom lands and this one would be considered mediocre.

BigDaddy12t 12-06-2010 02:43 PM

Awesome buck! Congrats!

falcon 12-06-2010 02:58 PM

Congrats on the buck.

Doug100g 12-06-2010 02:59 PM

Very nice Buck!

D

oldsmellhound 12-06-2010 03:25 PM

Nice buck! I'm in the same situation, the area where I hunt just doesn't grow Boone & Crockett bucks. So you gotta compare what you have to the locals. In any case, a nice harvest.

TNHagies 12-06-2010 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by WV Hunter (Post 3735466)
I'm up near the top of VA, near WV. Mountain deer. The county I hunt in just doesn't grow em big, unfortunately. If you get a buck that goes 110", you've done pretty darn good. I also hunt alot in WV just across the line....same thing there.

I know exactly what you mean. I hunt/grew up in VA near the WVA line and a BIG buck will score 130 B&C.

Regardless, the way I see it, if you're happy with him and he made memories, he's a trophy.

Congrats! Are you gonna mount him?

bronko22000 12-06-2010 04:09 PM

very nice, congrats. I like those high racked buck. but I also like wide racked ones, tall ones, short ones, heck,....any legal buck is nice.
good job.

rlmx 12-06-2010 04:18 PM

Nice buck and nice Knight ML. Knights are smooth and reliable.

WV Hunter 12-06-2010 04:20 PM

Thanks for all the kind replies!

TN....yeah you are right. A 130" buck would be an absolute slammer around here. I've only ever seen 2 in my life (30yrs hunting) that might go 125-130", and I've hunted alot - and killed alot with bow, m/l, and gun. They are just very few, and very far between.

I'm gonna do a euro mount on him. Kinda cool rack, has a little character - hopefully it will look good. I did my son's buck from a couple years ago (the buck in my avatar)....I thought it turned out good.

Ruger-Redhawk 12-06-2010 04:22 PM

Nice buck. Congrats you done good.

Breechplug 12-06-2010 04:24 PM

Nice Buck, He's got some Character in his Rack, some nice Kicker's. Congrat's and He'll be Fine Eatin!
(BP)

WV Hunter 12-06-2010 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by rlmx (Post 3735563)
Nice buck and nice Knight ML. Knights are smooth and reliable.

rlmx....I bought the gun new in 1994. Even though its "old school" as far as inlines go, its accurate and dependable. I say it "drills and kills" everything I ever aim at :D

(pain in the butt to clean though! LOL)

WV Hunter 12-06-2010 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Semisane (Post 3735492)
Exactly right WV Hunter. A "trophy" must be judged by the local environment.

Here's the best buck I've taken in twelve years of hunting our 900 acre piney woods lease.

He's a true trophy by our standards - a monster.

I've never scored a deer. But just for the heck of it I scored this rack a little while ago using the B&C on-line score calculator (didn't fudge a bit). He scored a whopping 99.

It's unlikely I'll ever shoot a better one in our area. But go 30 miles West to the black soil of the Mississippi River bottom lands and this one would be considered mediocre.

Semi....that is a nice buck for sure! Congrats!

I don't care about score, because I know I'll likely never kill one that scores high, unless I move or hunt places where they live. As it is, I just enjoy my hunting....and hunt for the upper end bucks in the area I'm in. I pass alot of small / med bucks every year, and usually only end up shooting does. Once every few years I'll bump into one I feel like shooting. Three years ago I saw one a little bigger than this one during M/L season....and of course I had my bow, and stood there at 45yds. This time I got lucky and made the right choice and had my knight. :)

Semisane 12-06-2010 05:20 PM

As it is, I just enjoy my hunting....and hunt for the upper end bucks in the area I'm in. I pass alot of small / med bucks every year, and usually only end up shooting does.
I hear that Hunter, and it's pretty much my philosophy too.

I've sat in box stands over food plots and watched deer enough to be able to judge age fairly well - at least the difference between a year and a half old six or eight pointer and one that's two and a half or older. My rule is I will shoot the first six pointer or above that's at least two years old. After that I won't shoot another buck unless he's clearly better than the one I've already taken. I shoot two does a year to put meat in the freezer - three if I haven't taken a buck by the last week of the season.

Our bucks run small, but I'm a happy hunter and have no desire to travel to where the really big boys are. I get just as pumped shooting a doe.

rafsob 12-07-2010 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by WV Hunter (Post 3735566)
Thanks for all the kind replies!

TN....yeah you are right. A 130" buck would be an absolute slammer around here. I've only ever seen 2 in my life (30yrs hunting) that might go 125-130", and I've hunted alot - and killed alot with bow, m/l, and gun. They are just very few, and very far between.

I'm gonna do a euro mount on him. Kinda cool rack, has a little character - hopefully it will look good. I did my son's buck from a couple years ago (the buck in my avatar)....I thought it turned out good.

I think it came out great. I want to try one if I get one that will look good. Did you use some kind of kit or what?

Breechplug 12-07-2010 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by rafsob (Post 3735852)
I think it came out great. I want to try one if I get one that will look good. Did you use some kind of kit or what?

rafsob, Cabela's sells the kit to do one yourself, it also comes with a piece of velvet to cover the skull if you want to. Or you can just buy a Plaque and do one yourself. I did one on a nice 8pt and use it to hang one of My Bow's on, it looks good.
The hardest part is getting the skull ready for mounting. I have another good 8pt that's not on a Plaque, it's the full skull and horns and it lays on a table in my Den. It sure Beats paying $450+ for a Full Cheast Mount, I wont do one of those unless it outscores one already hanging on My Wall.
(BP)

WV Hunter 12-07-2010 06:45 AM

For anyone interested, here is an older thread that has a tutorial on how to do a euro mount. I've been doing them for more than 10 years, and do it similar to this. There are lots of ways to do it, and it usually takes a few times to get it down to a science which ever way you go.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowh...an-mounts.html

Lance_23 12-07-2010 01:19 PM

Nice buck! congrats on the harvest.