Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
.58 Hawken vs. 112 lb. Doe (Hawken Wins) >

.58 Hawken vs. 112 lb. Doe (Hawken Wins)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.58 Hawken vs. 112 lb. Doe (Hawken Wins)

Old 12-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Doe Semi, and Congrats on a Fine Shot! She'll be fine Eatin for sure. But are you sure the Doe did'nt die of Heat Exhaustion with them 65 Degree Temps, just kiddin! I dont think I ever Hunted Deer that Hot out Befor, when it's that warm I mow the lawn or go swimming or smething.
Again, Congrat's and Great Shot.
(BP)
Old 12-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Spike

Way to go Semi you was due Good Luck with your next hunt.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Awesome shot and nice deer!

Man that is a big hole. I might have to buy me one of those guns...lol

D
Old 12-07-2010, 09:18 AM
mountaineer magic

Congratulations that ought to make some excellent venison nutria stir fry! Muzzy season starts here this coming Saturday.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

Well ya! 58 cal - great shot ='s dead animal....

That is a lot of energy hitting the rib cage and going out the other side. Think what the ft lb's might be and if just the energy hit you in side of the chest - even take away the penetration of the ball. I think that alone would knock you off your feet.

What did the organs in the chest cavity look like?
Old 12-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

What did the organs in the chest cavity look like?
Liver totally destroyed. Rear of one lung destroyed. Membranes just below spine destroyed with massive bruising to bottom of spine just in front of the tenderloins, but no damage to the loins (she collapsed where she was shot and couldn't use her hind legs - dragged six feet with her front legs and died within ten seconds). Chest cavity filled with blood. About a quart of blood on the ground between the point of the shot and the point of death.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
Liver totally destroyed. Rear of one lung destroyed. Membranes just below spine destroyed with massive bruising to bottom of spine just in front of the tenderloins, but no damage to the loins (she collapsed where she was shot and couldn't use her hind legs - dragged six feet with her front legs and died within ten seconds). Chest cavity filled with blood. About a quart of blood on the ground between the point of the shot and the point of death.
With that description... would you buy into my thoery if you shoot a bullet that causes the animal enough immediate trama - it will over-ride the 'Fright/Flight response that an animal has.

I think you accomplshed that with the 58 - I think you have in the past acomplished that with Gold Dots with your good shots.

But in the same vain would you get the same immediate results with the same shot on say an Alaskan Big Brown?

Which goes back to my other theory use the right bullet bullet for the right occasion... Why use a marginal bullet in a harvest situation?

I know I am a broken record
Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Banned

they kill those big browns with bow and arrows.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
they kill those big browns with bow and arrows.
Sure they do - with spears too, but do they expire immediately as did this deer - that is the point but, you do spend a lot of time off point.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me at dem big bears with my slow moving .540 535 grain No Excuses conical. I am sure Semi's balls would do the job too doh. He is half nutz after all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.