HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Passed On A Wallhanger This Afternoon (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/335681-passed-wallhanger-afternoon.html)

falcon 12-05-2010 05:09 PM

Passed On A Wallhanger This Afternoon

Late this afternoon i was hog hunting on a one mile long 160 acre strip that runs on both sides of a creek for about one-half mile. It is located between two huge run down pastures. The place is isolated and is over-run with wild hogs.

Have also seen a few nice bucks on that place. A bowhunter friend killed a 12 point buck with 9" drop tines there 2004. That deer scored 168 points as a typical and 186 points as a non-typical.

This afternoon i was sitting in my tree stand overlooking the
feeder when a very nice 10 point came in. That deer would score 160 points. His inside spread is easily 23" and his brow tines are 6" long. He has a very symmetrical rack with no nubs.

i have this thing about shooting deer at a feeder; i just won't do it. Hogs yes; deer no. Today was the last day of OK deer gun season and the old boy will live another year.

Breechplug 12-05-2010 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 3734931)
Late this afternoon i was hog hunting on a one mile long 160 acre strip that runs on both sides of a creek for about one-half mile. It is located between two huge run down pastures. The place is isolated and is over-run with wild hogs.

Have also seen a few nice bucks on that place. A bowhunter friend killed a 12 point buck with 9" drop tines there 2004. That deer scored 168 points as a typical and 186 points as a non-typical.

This afternoon i was sitting in my tree stand overlooking the
feeder when a very nice 10 point came in. That deer would score 160 points. His inside spread is easily 23" and his brow tines are 6" long. He has a very symmetrical rack with no nubs.

i have this thing about shooting deer at a feeder; i just won't do it. Hogs yes; deer no. Today was the last day of OK deer gun season and the old boy will live another year.

Falcon your a Much Better Man than I......If you can use a Feeder and Harvest Deer from one, than I understand how you feel about taking a Deer of that Class from it. I also have My Do's and Dont's when it comes to Deer. BUT, I'd be Fighting Awful Hard to NOT Pull the Trigger on that One. I Respect your Decision and Im sure so does the Buck.
It's the HUNT that makes a Lasting memory and not always the Deer.
(BP)

cayugad 12-05-2010 05:41 PM

While I commend you for sticking to your guidelines of a fair hunt, if it was legal I would have blasted that big buck. Large bucks are hard to come by where I live and I take every LEGAL opportunity to harvest one.

MountainDevil54 12-05-2010 05:45 PM

okay this deserves a smack up side the head LOL

TNHagies 12-05-2010 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by cayugad (Post 3734956)
While I commend you for sticking to your guidelines of a fair hunt, if it was legal I would have blasted that big buck. Large bucks are hard to come by where I live and I take every LEGAL opportunity to harvest one.

Couldn't have said it better. Where I hunt, you just don't get chances at big bucks often. I might would have to take the primer out and throw it on the ground to control myself. :s2:

OldBuckstalker1187 12-05-2010 06:07 PM

Just out of curiosity, If you wont shoot a deer at a feeder and you know that there is a possibility of seeing a nice buck walk up and start feeding at it, then why do you hunt close eough to see one walk up to the feeder? I believe this is a logical question. God bless you and your patience, I would have atleast shot him before he got to the feeder if I didn't like shooting a buck while it was at a feeder.

bronko22000 12-05-2010 06:11 PM

OK - I won't say that I don't believe you but the question I have to ask is "If you don't plan on shooting a deer under a feeder, why are you hunting there overlooking one?" If you are indeed abiding by this self imposed rule the you were just sitting there watching and not hunting.
I'm with Cayugad, if it was legal, I would have dropped the hammer.

Doug100g 12-05-2010 06:13 PM

Could someone please direct me to Falcons feeder in OK? Before its dark tonight? Wait...I still have to fly there and get a license and buck tag.

Hmmmm. I don't think I can make it in time.

D

hometheaterman 12-05-2010 06:14 PM

He said he was hog hunting and doesn't mind taking them from a feeder. So I'm guessing he was hoping for hogs to come in, yet a deer did instead.

halfbakedi420 12-05-2010 06:17 PM

i understand you were hunting hogs at a feeder and a deer came by...but the deer had to walk to, and away from the feeder...why not shoot it then? it is the same as if you were 400 yards from the feeder....the deer is going to a food source, ig the feeder, and no matter where you are, weather the deer is walkin 1 mile to the feeder, or 10 yards..its still the same, he is going for the feeder?