Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
thompson center encore/shockwave problem?? >

thompson center encore/shockwave problem??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

thompson center encore/shockwave problem??

Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default thompson center encore/shockwave problem??

I have a 50 cal tc encore, and have always shot the 200 grain shockwaves out of this gun. I used 2 50 grain triple 7 pellets, and the 200 grain shockwave. I have shot this combo for the last 4 years I think. Everytime I sight in I would have bullet holes touching at 100 yards, and about a 2-3" group overall. It shot great.

Well this year I get out the muzzleloader and the shockwaves and start shooting. First shot doesn't hit the 50 yard starting target at all. I call for my dad to watch while I shoot so he can see where I am at. He says your 2 foot left. I make a major adjustment. Shoot again. Still miss the target completely. I move the target to 25 yards, and start shooting. I finally get it to hit right at the bullseye on 1 shot. I reload and shoot again to make sure its right. I miss the target completely.

So I decided I might need new scope mount, and rings....I though maybe they were loose. I had planned on getting some new luepold quick release anyways. So get them put them on. Shoot again for awhile....same thing. So I think maybe the scope is messed up. So I switch out my scope with one of my dads spares. Same thing can't keep it on the 2 foot by 2 foot cardboard at 50 yards.

My dads says try one of my bullets. He shoots a hornady 240 xtp bullet with a sabot that looks similar to the ones with my shockwave. I shoot 2 of those and there touching right above the bullseye 6 inches. I adjust a little and shoot again. Perfect. So I figured out it was the shockwaves causing the problem.

What would cause my gun to shoot shockwaves great for 4 years, and then not be able to group them at all? I clean my barrel between every shot, and use a sight vise...so it wasn't me causing the problem. I really liked those bullets, but now my gun won't shoot them....any ideas.....could it possibly have been a couple bad batches I bought? They weren't the same bunch of bullets I had used the previous years. I had bought 3 new containers of them in early fall. I'm stumped. Thanks
Old 12-05-2010, 07:14 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

my best guess is you have a pellet problem,i really like the T7 loose powder but those pellets suck (moisture)you can buy a jug of T7 and a powder measure for the same price and shoot more and probably better groups.good luck .........karl
Old 12-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Well that is the same thing I have shot for 4 years. 2 triple 7 pellets, and a 200 grain shockwave. It has always shot great before. Thats what I don't understand. My dads 240 xtp bullets with a sabot that looks almost identical to my shockwave sabots will shoot great. I have 2 packs of triple 7 pellets left. I hate to just waste them. I was maybe just gonna look into a new bullet. I'll try anything though.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like bad sabots to me.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:55 AM
Spike

I had about the same problem with my Encore. I finally discovered that the bolt holding the stock on was loose. I tightened it up and the accuracy returned. I use the 240 Mag express with 2 white Hot pellets and the CCI shotgun primers--no crud ring, I have fired up to 15 or so shots without swabbing and it still loads with about the same amount of effort and is still accurate.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pellets over a year old are always suspect the boxes do NOT seal,they are hygroscopic [suck up moisture] and this affects their performance.
The bolts holding the gun together or the screws holding the locking block on are a possibility. If you got a hold of some of a batch of bad sabots that could cause it.
Of course loose mounting blocks for the scope or a scope that has broken its innards loose.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

Thinking about the powder boxes not sealing up right...after they are open...has anyone ever used a foodsaver to seal a bag around the box and see if the powder stays in good shape longer?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Well about the stock being loose, and the pellets being bad. I don't think thats the case, because I shot my Dads bullets which are 240 grain xtp's with a sabot real similar to mine in really tight groups. The shockwaves wouldn't stay on a 2 foot square though. I kept a 2" group with his. So could it be possible I got a batch of bad sabots that the shockwave bullet sits in? If so is there a place where I can just buy the sabots they go in and try that? I've already changed the scope, bases, and rings. I did get it shooting good like I said, but I would like to get back to my 200 grain shockwaves, so I can shoot 150-200 yards.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by mnprohunter
Thinking about the powder boxes not sealing up right...after they are open...has anyone ever used a foodsaver to seal a bag around the box and see if the powder stays in good shape longer?

This would be a great idea and one that should work well. I have the foodsaver, but don't use pellets though.

All kidding aside, I would give it a try.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

AGREEED go to loose, and you might try the 250 grain
Originally Posted by kb1
my best guess is you have a pellet problem,i really like the T7 loose powder but those pellets suck (moisture)you can buy a jug of T7 and a powder measure for the same price and shoot more and probably better groups.good luck .........karl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.