Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Xtp never again

Old 12-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed a few deer with that bullet and they never went more then a couple feet. They work for me.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just so you know a little history...

Hornady XTPs have probably accounted for more deer than any muzzleloading bullet used since saboted bullets became common in inlines in the mid-80s...The Savage smokeless muzzleloader was actually developed around one of the XTP bullets...

The .430 240gr XTP has been a reliable performer before then as many hunters have used this in their .44 Mag handguns...

Sorry you didn't find you deer before the coyotes but you came on here wanting opinions and you received them...

Many of these guys were killing deer with muzzleloaders before you were a gleam in your Daddy's eyes...

As far as you being a "stud" and "loverboy" on your profile...That's just showing your youthful arrogance...I've raised 3 daughters, have 2 through college and married and have been married myself for over 31 years...

While you think you are "all that"...It won't be many years before your wife will be telling you to take out the garbage and will be dictating when you will get lucky...
Old 12-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
What the Heck are you talking about???? Have you been Seeking Too Much Smoke! (BP)
Way past seeking - well into finding.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

The .430 240gr XTP has been a reliable performer before then as many hunters have used this in their .44 Mag handguns...

+1
That bullet is used in .44 magnum rifles to velocities of 1,800 fps. Some hunters load that bullet in their .444 Marlin guns. They get velocities up to 2,250 fps and they kill deer with their guns.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SmokeSeeker
Whatever I know ? happened,and where the shot was placed.So the shot was a little high but still caught both lungs. I wouldnt even give XTP's to someone for FEAR they would use them for deer hunting instead of Target Shooting/Reloading 44 mag bullets/45 colt long. <<<which is what they are meant for.Not muzzleloaders.
Well I have killed 6 big bull elk with XTP's, all 6, the bullets performed flawless, took out both shoulders, found the perfectly mushroomed bullets on the oposite sides of the elk right under the hide, and the farthest I had one run was 45 yards. Elk are way tougher than any deer. They seem to work pretty darn well in muzzle loaders. They work excellent in 44 mags too, I killed a 350+ lb black bear with my 44 mag pistol this year using 240gr. Hornady XTP's.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

I've been hunting since my dad gave me my first 22 at the age of 10 years old and trusted me enough to go out in the woods on my own. The years after receiving this wonderful Winchester model 62A pump 22 (Which I still Have), I challenged myself to learn the skills required to take on the responsibility of shooting a animal and killing it.

I take hunting and the killing of animals VERY serious. I have seen many people that call themselves hunters, but don't have a clue on what it takes to be able to say, "I am a HUNTER".

Flippant statements from a person who obviously doesn't regard the life of the animals they shoot as no more than a target make me very angry, as it should anyone who proclaims to to be "A HUNTER"
Old 12-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by thom2
I've been hunting since my dad gave me my first 22 at the age of 10 years old and trusted me enough to go out in the woods on my own. The years after receiving this wonderful Winchester model 62A pump 22 (Which I still Have), I challenged myself to learn the skills required to take on the responsibility of shooting a animal and killing it.

I take hunting and the killing of animals VERY serious. I have seen many people that call themselves hunters, but don't have a clue on what it takes to be able to say, "I am a HUNTER".

Flippant statements from a person who obviously doesn't regard the life of the animals they shoot as no more than a target make me very angry, as it should anyone who proclaims to to be "A HUNTER"
What! I take my hunting very serious, I work in the hunting industry, my life is based on hunting. You are right about one thing, they do make nice targets, they also taste pretty good too!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SmokeSeeker
lol you really must be a little slow
You know you're really starting to get on My Nerve's. I just Deleted about 8 Paragraphs of stuff I just said about what I think of you because Im better than that.
Boy for someone that Claims he shot and found his 130 Class Buck that was shot by a XTP and ate by Coyotes and never showed any proof of it Im starting to think your story is all bull and you made it up. Why not post a PIC of the Rack so you can at least Half shut me up. If you cant do it Im sure someone on here will post it for you.
There's No Excuse as to why you could'nt have found your Deer after it only ran as far as you say, I dont care what Terraine it was in. I Live in Hill Country and some of the Nastiest Thickest Stuff you ever Hunted in, Swamps, Creeks, Ravines ect, and that never stopped me from finding one.
You can talk to me that way and get away with it on the Internet because your safe, but if you were here you'd be running the other way. Both your Avatar Pic and Location are as Immature as you are. Your Just Too Cool I wish I could be you, NOT!
(BP)
Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Just so you know a little history...

Hornady XTPs have probably accounted for more deer than any muzzleloading bullet used since saboted bullets became common in inlines in the mid-80s...The Savage smokeless muzzleloader was actually developed around one of the XTP bullets...

Sorry you didn't find you deer before the coyotes but you came on here wanting opinions and you received them...

Many of these guys were killing deer with muzzleloaders before you were a gleam in your Daddy's eyes...

As far as you being a "stud" and "loverboy" on your profile...That's just showing your youthful arrogance...I've raised 3 daughters, have 2 through college and married and have been married myself for over 31 years...

While you think you are "all that"...It won't be many years before your wife will be telling you to take out the garbage and will be dictating when you will get lucky...
nchawkeye you said it and Thank's. Also Congrat's on 31 Years!
(BP)
Old 12-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

He admits to hitting it high in the lungs and doesnt understand that there will not be much blood trail???? Clueless youth. Lets blame the bullet and tell everyone that has had great results with the same bullet that they are idiots. Nice.

Not sure what books he can read, but I dont think he will find any 130's in one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.