HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Breech plug/nipple wrench for traditions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/335344-breech-plug-nipple-wrench-traditions.html)

cabage 11-30-2010 07:00 PM

Breech plug/nipple wrench for traditions

I'm cleaning up a traditions tracker 209 that was left over the last season for a friend. I think it is salvageable, but he doesn't have a breech plug/ nipple wrench. Does anyone know where I can get one??
Gander, Walmart, Dicks? I live near Madison Wisconsin if anyone can point me in the right direction.

sabotloader 11-30-2010 07:11 PM

cabage

maybe here...

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/in...141c1fa5a77a18

cabage 11-30-2010 08:02 PM

Yeah I had no problem locating one on the web either! I was looking to pick one up quick and local as to have this thing back in action as soon as possible.

sabotloader 12-01-2010 06:47 AM

cabage

Some of the larger outlests might have some Traditions stuff - that would be my only guess.

Just not a real big market for it in the compact outlets.

Breechplug 12-01-2010 06:57 AM

can you get a socket on it?
(BP)

cabage 12-01-2010 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Breechplug (Post 3732264)
can you get a socket on it?
(BP)

It doesn't have a hex head on it. It had a male slot end on it (best description I could come up with). Pretend that you have a flat head screwdriver that you need to turn, you would use a flat head screw which would grip each side of the driver. That is what it the tool looks like. Dumb.

If I had a mill and some round stock I could make one...'cept i've got no mill...dang.

cabage 12-01-2010 06:32 PM

ha ha funny enough I did what I knew I shouldn't do but for some reason I did it anyways. I took the largest flat head screwdriver that would fit in the breech and tried to unscrew the nipple from the breech plug and sure enough out came the breech plug with it!! I wasn't even crankin' on it yet!! Very dirty but not too bad, and now with a look down the barrel I saw what I feared... surface rust and maybe some mild pitting. How bad is it to shoot it without polishing the rust out? Will it just crash the accuracy??

After calling every gunsmith or firearms dealer in 100 miles I come to find that no one in southern wisconsin has a breech plug wrench for this thing...I think I might make one out of a long 3/8 socket extension...the female end on the socket is about .677" and the bolt of the gun is .703". I will just cut a slot in the female end of the extension as wide as the male portion of the breech plug and presto we have a custom wrench with no shipping and handling!! I will turn it with a 3/8ths wrench. Sound crazy enough to work??

MountainDevil54 12-01-2010 07:13 PM

sportsmans warehouse normally has those tools.

Breechplug 12-02-2010 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by cabage (Post 3732342)
It doesn't have a hex head on it. It had a male slot end on it (best description I could come up with). Pretend that you have a flat head screwdriver that you need to turn, you would use a flat head screw which would grip each side of the driver. That is what it the tool looks like. Dumb.

If I had a mill and some round stock I could make one...'cept i've got no mill...dang.

OK, got ya. I think My CVA Hunterbolt Mag has the same kind of BP wrench. The Hunterbolt Mag is a Bolt Action and if you remove the bolt you could get a Long Screwdriver in there and use that if you had to, can you? Or can you just take off the barrel and use a screwdriver?
(BP)

Breechplug 12-02-2010 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Breechplug (Post 3732811)
OK, got ya. I think My CVA Hunterbolt Mag has the same kind of BP wrench. The Hunterbolt Mag is a Bolt Action and if you remove the bolt you could get a Long Screwdriver in there and use that if you had to, can you? Or can you just take off the barrel and use a screwdriver?
(BP)

SORRY cabage, I should have read your above quote befor I wrote this one. I figured it would work.
(BP)