Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
January Mt. Lion hunt coming, Knight time . >

January Mt. Lion hunt coming, Knight time .

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

January Mt. Lion hunt coming, Knight time .

Old 11-30-2010, 09:01 AM
mountaineer magic

Default January Mt. Lion hunt coming, Knight time .

I have a hunt coming up for the Black Hills in January, Planning on taking my 12 year old with me. Hopefully it isn't to much below zero. I'm getting to out of shape for the backpacking ,so hopefully he can help shoulder the load. I plan on hiking a couple days in and camping out while hunting. The odds of filling a tag on this hunt is very low (.013), but Lord willing we will have a successful hunt. The season starts January 1st til March 31 or until 40 cats are harvested or 30 females whichever comes first. I haven't been mt lion hunting before so i am looking forward to it. I plan on taking either my Elite or Long Range Hunter. I will probably go for 4 days then if unsuccessful I will try again later in the month. Last year it took til mid feb for the harvest limit to be reached. I sure would like to harvest a Mt Lion with my Knight. Planning on 120gr Blackhorn and a barnes TMZ or a PR dead center . Both shoot excellent in my knight.

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 11-30-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

my late season starts dec 11, I thought it started later.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Banned

oh awesome!! Mtn lion hunt would be awesome.

I dont have much luck with meat eaters so i tend to leave them alone and look behind me often. Must be that sweet blood of mine LOL
Old 11-30-2010, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chet,
What DeadCenter bullets are you using? The 220grn was probably my favorite in the 50cal Knight Elite. The 40cal 260grn DeadCenter would shoot lights out if you could get a sabot for the 52cal. It worked awesome in the 1/24 twist savage.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Chet

Which Knight might you be using?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:22 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Chet,
What DeadCenter bullets are you using? The 220grn was probably my favorite in the 50cal Knight Elite. The 40cal 260grn DeadCenter would shoot lights out if you could get a sabot for the 52cal. It worked awesome in the 1/24 twist savage.
I have been shooting the 40/50 260 gr. I have a savage but never shot it but once. It seems that I always intend to take a different gun to use but end up grabbing my Knight instead. Still a toss up between the Elite and LRH but I guess there is time to try a different gun. If it isn't a Knight it would probably be the Triumph or maybe the savage. I'm just hesitant to use a gun that i only shot once, if you know what I man. familiarity builds confidence.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to know more about how you go about hunting these big cats. We have a few of them in Minnesota but they are mainly just seen on game cameras. For some reason the dnr is in a state of denial about their existence here.
Do you find their lair? Stalk them? Bait them? Call them in with something like a wounded rabbit call?
I think the elite would be a nice light gun to carry and, as you know, it is accurate long range.
Kudos for you for doing the winter camping, It has been years for me.
Art
Old 11-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have the same questions as flounder. What's the game plan?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Good luck on the hunt. I think that Knight should be bad medicine on a cat.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chetmarks
I have been shooting the 40/50 260 gr. I have a savage but never shot it but once. It seems that I always intend to take a different gun to use but end up grabbing my Knight instead. Still a toss up between the Elite and LRH but I guess there is time to try a different gun. If it isn't a Knight it would probably be the Triumph or maybe the savage. I'm just hesitant to use a gun that i only shot once, if you know what I man. familiarity builds confidence.
So your getting that long 40cal 260grn to stabilize in a 50cal ML? I actually never tried that. I just assumed it was two long for a 1/28 twist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.