Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
January Mt. Lion hunt coming, Knight time . >

January Mt. Lion hunt coming, Knight time .

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

January Mt. Lion hunt coming, Knight time .

Old 11-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 40-250 PR QT and my cast .401-260 stabilize in a 1-28 45 at roughly 1950fps but they can be a PITA in a 50cal with the 40x50 sabots.

Ive blown a few sabots trying.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:40 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by Semisane
I have the same questions as flounder. What's the game plan?
You can't use dogs or bait here, so my game plan is basically spot and stalk. I have a map of where all the cats were harvested last year.I plan on going to an area that had cats harvested near there and look for sign. If and when i find sign i will spend my time spotting and glassing and hoping to see something.I will probably take the Elite because I feel comfortable with it at long range with the scope and shooting sticks. Still the harvest success rate last year was .013, not very high

Old 11-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chet, if you should need a place to stay during either of your 'camping' trips, we have room at our house. Upstairs, with a bathroom, tub, and shower. Wife acts like she thinks i make a great breakfast, but perhaps she just like it, because she isn't the cook.

Also, one local sporting goods store seems to be quite knowledgeable about lion hunting. I have the impression that some success involves the use of calling. I also got the impression that an employee there has tagged a lion every year, but i may be wrong.

Also, i thought the quota was increased this season by 10, to 50 total. Seems to me, you are facing quite a challenge. However, there evidently quite a lot of lion in the hills, if hunters can meet the quota every year. Also it seems lion tagged here, are found quite a few places East.

Perhaps you have seen lion track on your place?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Chet

Here is a read for you... but you might already have this information....

http://www.huntinghunters.com/mountain-lion-hunting/
Old 11-30-2010, 04:38 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Chet, if you should need a place to stay during either of your 'camping' trips, we have room at our house. Upstairs, with a bathroom, tub, and shower. Wife acts like she thinks i make a great breakfast, but perhaps she just like it, because she isn't the cook.

Also, one local sporting goods store seems to be quite knowledgeable about lion hunting. I have the impression that some success involves the use of calling. I also got the impression that an employee there has tagged a lion every year, but i may be wrong.

Also, i thought the quota was increased this season by 10, to 50 total. Seems to me, you are facing quite a challenge. However, there evidently quite a lot of lion in the hills, if hunters can meet the quota every year. Also it seems lion tagged here, are found quite a few places East.

Perhaps you have seen lion track on your place?
Thanks for the offer ron. if you have the name of the person and store i wouldn't mind talking to someone who has been hunting lions before. I plan on taking a predator call, a fawn distress and a rabbit but calling i think is still not the solution unless there is a cat around and he feels like responding at the time. I've seen some predators simply ignore calls, but i figure it is worth a try.
Successful or not, it will be fun i guess.
Thanks sabotloader for the link. I will read it. I'm open to all the info i can find between now and january

Old 11-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Spike

Good Luck on your hunt cant really give you no pointers on mountain lions.But I have taken Bobcats in my area.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Rooster is located on West Main in the Gap.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck Chet.