Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
54cal hawken lock problem >

54cal hawken lock problem

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

54cal hawken lock problem

Old 11-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 54cal hawken lock problem

I got my lock back from getting worked on. put on the gun. something new came up. the hammer is touching the wood so bad it will not allow the hammer to drop.

I came up with 3 options to fix it that won't cost me any money. (just dropped $176 on my wife tonight for christmas)

1) hit the hammer, hit it up and bend it to clear the wood. (never done this)
problem:
twist too much and break the hammer with it being under high heat.

2) remove enough wood to allow the hammer to clear.
problem:
would have to refinish that part of the stock and also scared it will weaken the stock

3) grind the area of the hammer enough to clear the wood.
problem:

over grinding the area and leaving an weak spot.

any other options?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Banned

grind the hammer where its hitting wood.

Corey i tried that other hammer on our hawken and its a good thing i messed up and didnt install it, it doesnt hit the nipple flat, it hits at an upward angle.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

corey012778

I am trying to visualize your problem... got a couple of questions when the hammer is down is it striking the nipple square? or is it off to the side with the hammer being on the barrel side of the nipple?

I am thinking before doing any bending or grinding i would shim the lock out from the stock until the hammer clears than check to se if the hammer hits the nipple...

Be a lot easier to explain if I could see what you are talkingabout for sure....
Old 11-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
corey012778

I am trying to visualize your problem... got a couple of questions when the hammer is down is it striking the nipple square? or is it off to the side with the hammer being on the barrel side of the nipple?
it is not hitting the nipple square, barrel side.

I am thinking before doing any bending or grinding i would shim the lock out from the stock until the hammer clears than check to se if the hammer hits the nipple...
may not work, do to it needs to come left.

Be a lot easier to explain if I could see what you are talkingabout for sure....
one problem may fix another.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Spike

I have seen a couple of T/C Renagade that came from the factory with a drop of hot melt glue used to shim the lock out just a little. Seemed to work fine.
GC
Old 11-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

while taking pics of the problem area. noticed something. an screw hitting the lock.
added an washer behind the lock washer. fixed that issue. still off center on the nipple. did an small heating on the hammer. small pull. brought it over some but still not right.