Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
250gr shockwave bloodtrail vid and pics >

250gr shockwave bloodtrail vid and pics

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

250gr shockwave bloodtrail vid and pics

Old 11-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 250gr shockwave bloodtrail vid and pics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I1WCwuQvF0
250gr shockwave bloodtrail vid and pics-012.jpg

250gr shockwave bloodtrail vid and pics-013.jpg

250gr shockwave bloodtrail vid and pics-019.jpg

250gr shockwave bloodtrail vid and pics-021.jpg

Shot this crippled spike today with the Savage , 250gr std shockwave doing 2300fps from 42gr imr4759

Shot was about 40yds, went in high in rear ribs, came out in the far elbow and arm pit, actually theres 2 exit holes (weird) Ill figure that out when I skin and butcher it. either way expansion looks good and the short blood trail was very heavy, as you can see in the vid, although it did take a few yds to start dumpn. This will be my 5th shockwave kill, all DRT or just like this. Ill keep usin em.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow that Shockwave really did some damage. Congratulations on the deer.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

DeerandbearhoG

Possibly the bullet broke up... the lead went out one hole and the copper out the other. I have seen Hornady's strip themselves on occasion.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gee and all those guys who doubt the effectiveness of the shockwave. IMO a bullet does not have to hold together to be an excellent bullet. Look at the Berger bullet. Cleanly taking big game animals at 600-1000 yds and almost always fragment.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
DeerandbearhoG

Possibly the bullet broke up... the lead went out one hole and the copper out the other. I have seen Hornady's strip themselves on occasion.
Thats what I was thinkn, Im curious to peel him apart and see what happened in there.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO a bullet does not have to hold together to be an excellent bullet. Look at the Berger bullet. Cleanly taking big game animals at 600-1000 yds and almost always fragment.
+1
Give Bronko the prize. For five or six years i used 130-150 grains of granular Pyrodex in my guns along with the 240 grain .430 XTP bullet. On several occasions deer and hogs were hit behind the diaphragm but either bang flopped or went a short distance after being hit. One 160 pound boar, standing broadside, was hit well behind the diaphragm. Shards of the bullet tore up the diaphragm, heart and lungs-bang flop.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Cool The bullet path

Granted, it was a 30-06 180 gr round, but I once shot a good-sized deer facing me,just nicking the breastbone @ 75 yds:
bullet must have become shrapnel upon impact w/ one part of the shoulder and entire shank ruined, one side of the neck was hamburger, @ 1/3 of the heart was missing w/ everything behind it one very messy stew. No exit wound. Luckily snow was on the ground to clean things up a bit in the field. Lead does some unexpected things.
Even w/that damage the deer managed @ 60 yd run to the field's edge.
It's a shot I probably would not choose to take again...
Old 11-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

boy you are right, at first there wasn't much at all.....but it was like red paint gettin dumped for awhile. nice job. good performance.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
DeerandbearhoG

Skined and 1/4erd him today, I think the bullet exited and renterd in the armpit causing the weird double exit wound , didnt find any fragments in him but i havent cut the meat up yet either so well see. Expansion looks pretty good lots of bloodshot meat and pretty good tissue damage like a good centerfire hit. I will note, the bullet hit a rib on the entrance and several other bones before exiting.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Remember, this is a 250 grain bullet at 2300 fps. Nothing I shoot even approaches that velocity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.