Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bullet Performance Report - 260 grain PR Extrene Elite >

Bullet Performance Report - 260 grain PR Extrene Elite

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet Performance Report - 260 grain PR Extrene Elite

Old 11-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Bullet Performance Report - 260 grain PR Extrene Elite

Well guys, I didn't see a deer over the weekend. But one one of the guys in our club shot a 155 lb. 8-pointer with a 260 grain Precision Rifle "Extreme Elite" over 90 grains of T7 FFG.

This is the bullet: http://www.prbullet.com/shop/product....php?sSKU=0128

The shot was at 97 yards late Friday evening. The deer was quartering away. He hit just behind the last rib on the right side, and just above the center line of the body. The bullet exited the left side at the rear of the left shoulder, just below the center line and clipping the rear of the shoulder blade. It destroyed the liver and both lungs. The exit hole was about the same size as the entrance hole.

We found two quarter sized spots of liver blood and tissue at the point of the shot and small spots of blood every few feet for about fifteen yards - then nothing.

Four of us searched for three hours with good lights in the dark, covering the most likely areas of escape through pine thickets and underbursh and could not locate the deer or any other sign of blood. Went back Saturday morning and found him approximately 120 yards from the point of the shot. Several of us had walked within fifteen feet of him the night before. No blood on the ground under him and no blood trail leading back to his death run.

Deer and bullets do strange things. How that sucker made it that far with the damage he had is just amazing.

Last edited by Semisane; 11-22-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Dominant Buck

When I was a kid, my Dad and I were deer hunting in a shotgun only area. A nice buck come up through the marsh and Dad cut loose with his Browning 12 gauge Semi Automatic Light 12 shotgun. He was shooting 2-3/4 slugs. It was broadside.

He shot and it kept running. So Dad cut loose again, and once more for good measure. That buck ran almost 100 yards. It was easy to trail, but when we got up to it, all three slugs were behind the front shoulder and you could have covered them with a hardball. The insides were basically not there. How that deer ran 100 yards to this day we still talk about it.

Deer are tough creatures. While they are easy to penetrate, they are not easy to kill as some people think. That is a nice looking bullet actually.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same story here. Shot a buck broadside at 15yds with a 2 3/4" Brenneke 12 gauge slug. Deer mule kicked and took off in a picked bean field and I watched him pile up 100yds away running about 40 MPH. Gutted the buck out and his heart was hanging in 3 ragged chunks. That deer ran 100 yds full out with no heart.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats the bullet I want to try,almost,I want to try the Dead Center but pass throughs are questionable just like the 245 grain Powerbelts.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

pluckit

If you want a very good bullet for whitetail, take a look at the Speer .452/250 grain Gold Dot or now called Deep Curl.

Might check out this thread....

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/ph...ic.php?t=18708
Old 11-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't get anything out of that but thanks anyway.I have to finish the season with what I have due to the problems of sighting in a new load.I will be working up another load next year for sure and the Gold Dot looks promising along with a couple others,thanks.Next time I'm staying away from anything with negative reviews.I think I've learned a lesson.

Last edited by pluckit; 11-22-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

pluckit

OK... I was just trying to pass some information on to you that i thought you might be interested in.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you.I just couldn't get connected to it.I think I may have registered before and forgotten my password and it won't let me register again with the same email address.I appreciate it though.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I OK'ed your new register on MM last night. Try and let me know I can go in and change the passward if necessary and pass it on to you and than can change it to what ever you want....
Old 11-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Spike

I nailed a deer with a broad-head two weeks ago. The arrow fired traveled farther than the deer did. 25 yard shot. Two bounds, 12 yards, and he fell. The science would be fascinating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.