Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Which Nikon Omega.  1.65-5X36 or 3-9X40? >

Which Nikon Omega. 1.65-5X36 or 3-9X40?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which Nikon Omega. 1.65-5X36 or 3-9X40?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Spike

Question Which Nikon Omega. 1.65-5X36 or 3-9X40?

I am stuck on this one. I am new to muzzleloading and new to scopes. I will be hunting mostly in Michigan woods and will probably not be offered a shot beyond 150 yards. I would say 200 yards at the extreme end. I like the idea of the 9 power for initial spotting but I don't know if its worth giving up the field of view and probably better low light performance of the 1.65 - 3 range.

So I guess what I need to know is: What do you think is going to be more useful, the lower magnification range of 1.65-3 or the higher range of 5-9?

While at it how about your thoughts on BDC vs Nikoplex?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a Nikon Omega with the 3-9x40mm and no BDC. I love the scope. I just taught myself hold over. Most of my shots are 50 yards. But I sighted this in for 100 yards. And even then I am still in a kill zone for my ranges.

On my other rifles I mounted 2-7x32mm Nikon Pro Staff scopes. This is really a nice scope. It is a shotgun scope. And just a great scope.

So my opinion, the BDC unless you are shooting extreme ranges all the time I see no need for it. If I were out west or in field hunting, then it might have an advantage. I hunt woods.

The 2-7 gathers a lot of light. And how often do we do snap shots? I take my time and line up the shot. So the field of view becomes less and less important. I line up my shot and make it count. The power of the scope is less important then the cross hair and clarity of the scope for me.

Actually I never knew about the 1.65x5x36 Nikon. It sounds like a great scope. It would be good for stalking and actually I used to shoot a 30-06 with a 4x scope on it. I never felt under scoped and would shoot out to 200 yards all the time.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im really starting to like the 2x7s also. I have 2 different brands and one is a wide angle with a 40mm objective.

I just saw the 1.6x5 Nikon while checking out their 2x7s a few minutes ago. Sure looks like a nice option on my brush gun.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I knowed nothing about the Nikon's cept they be good scopes. I have a Bushnell 3x9 Trophy on my GreyHawk, its a nice scope but its not whats best fer it. I just pulled it off while cleaning the GreyHawk & will put my Bushnell Elite 1.5x6 on it. That should make a nice combo as my shots here in these thick woods run way less than 75 yds. It has the #4 recticle in it
Old 11-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Spike

Just ordered the 1.65 - 5X36 for a CVA Accura 2. Decided on that scope after looking at an old Burris 1.5-5X20 and realizing that it was more than adequate for the weapon (except for the fact that the dearler was asking a bit too much for a discontinued, several year old scope). The important part is that both of the scopes you are evaluating have 5" of eye relief. I am not an expert on the topic, however, I have been nailed between the eyes 2 times (makes me sad that 1 time was not enough). And just by happen chance I just saw a kid end up with a goose egg between his eyes yesterday; produced by his wolf with a low eye relief scope. Burris makes a 2-7X35 and Leupold makes a 2-7x33mm. Both looked like good options. But I wanted the lower power for tight quarters. I will be sighting in the scope next weekend (if I can figure out why tripple 7 is jacking up my weapon so bad).
Old 11-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would rather have the low end magnification for the conditions you described.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

I looked at the Nikon Omega when I first got my T/C Omega, but after research and looking at one at Bass Pro, I decided to stick to the proven Leupold brand.

I know the trajectory of my load so, I have no need for all those yardage marks.

I bought a Leupold VX-ll 3-9x40.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Natchez SS has the Nikon Omega 3-9x40 on sale for $190 in silver or RealTree (for some reason the matte is $250). Don't know anything about the scope, but I have heard that some people do not like the extended eye relief. I have a Leupold Ultimate Slam (3-9x40) on my Omega, and the eye relief on that is plenty, and I don't mind the 3x like I thought I woud. It has held zero perfectly and gives me a crystal clear sight picture, but it was a PAIN IN THE ASS to zero (I think there is something wrong with my turrets...will be contacting Leupold after the the season).
Old 11-22-2010, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always preferred lower power scopes for most situations particularly for big game.ML's really don't have the reach to justify high power anyway.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

I would go with the 2X7 . Just on the fact when you are on 2 power you got a wider field of view. I hunt a lot of wooded area somost of time my 3x9 is cranked down to 3. About the only time i even use the 9 power on my 30.06 is when hunting powerlines or large fields. Truthfully go with what you feel comfortable with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.