HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   CVA Bergara Barrels (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/334281-cva-bergara-barrels.html)

rlmx 11-16-2010 07:23 AM

CVA Bergara Barrels

CVA markets their rifles based on Bergara barrels: "These Bergara Barrels, all made of the highest quality 416 grade stainless steel, have quickly become recognized as the most accurate production muzzleloader barrels in the world."

But with consistency manufacturers acknowledge that 416 grade stainless is not the best.

What am I missing?

Read on...

Background

Grade 416 has the highest machinability of any stainless steel, at about 85% of that of a free-machining carbon steel. As for most other free-machining stainless steels the improvement in machinability is achieved by addition of sulphur which forms manganese sulphide inclusions; this sulphur addition also lowers the corrosion resistance, weldability and formability to below that of its non-free machining equivalent Grade 410.

Grade 416 is sometimes used in the unhardened or hardened and highly tempered condition because of its low cost and ready machinability.

Martensitic stainless steels are optimised for high hardness, and other properties are to some degree compromised. Fabrication must be by methods that allow for poor weldability and usually also allow for a final harden and temper heat treatment. Corrosion resistance is lower than the common austenitic grades, and their useful operating temperature range is limited by their loss of ductility at sub-zero temperatures and loss of strength by over-tempering at elevated temperatures.

MountainDevil54 11-16-2010 09:22 AM

shooting usa had a show about the bergara barrels. very interesting show.

If you are trying to slam the 416 grade stainless steel, Mike Bellm tested the hardness of them and give it 2 thumbs up.

If stainless steel is to hard, it becomes brittle.

Gm54-120 11-16-2010 10:56 AM

E.R Shaw is using it. ;)
http://www.ershawbarrels.com/scb-price-list.php

And so does Green Mountain.

Screwbolts 11-16-2010 12:43 PM

I believe If you see a SS barrel you will find it to be 416 or 416R SS this is the industry standard for smokeless powder rifle barrels. SS is a beast to machine most times it work hardens as you cut it.

rlmx 11-16-2010 12:48 PM

RE:CVA Bergara Barrels

Not trying to slam it. I am basically asking questions. If this is what top rifle makers use then this is what they use. If other hunters are happy with long term performance of the material then that is good. I am certainly not an expert. But the description of 416 grade steel across the board made me want to inquire.

MountainDevil54 11-16-2010 12:54 PM

firing between 4 to 6,000 rounds out of my CVA barrels each year, ive yet to see any sign of wear, nor loss in accuracy.

loadbreak 11-16-2010 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by rlmx (Post 3723193)
Not trying to slam it. I am basically asking questions. If this is what top rifle makers use then this is what they use. If other hunters are happy with long term performance of the material then that is good. I am certainly not an expert. But the description of 416 grade steel across the board made me want to inquire.

I take you at your word that you are not trying to slam it but your very first post on this forum seems like a slam on a product that a lot of shooters really like. Your original post didn't come off as too much of a question.

You may want to introduce yourself and let everyone know what your into shooting.

rlmx 11-17-2010 12:45 PM

I am into shooting deer, turkey and squirrel.

At present: Knight 54 Cal for the deer. Remington 870 for the turkey, and a ruger 22 mag for the squirrel.

If UPS is correct, I will be setting up a CVA Accura V2 starting tomorrow and will be hunting deer with it when ML season opens here on the 1st weekend in December.

A Browning Mag Reflex is also on the weapons list.

Finally, the M16 was turned in last year. I am not into shooting at bad guys any more, 1 tour in the sandbox was enough.

Skopia 11-17-2010 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by rlmx (Post 3723883)
I am into shooting deer, turkey and squirrel.

At present: Knight 54 Cal for the deer. Remington 870 for the turkey, and a ruger 22 mag for the squirrel.

If UPS is correct, I will be setting up a CVA Accura V2 starting tomorrow and will be hunting deer with it when ML season opens here on the 1st weekend in December.

A Browning Mag Reflex is also on the weapons list.

Finally, the M16 was turned in last year. I am not into shooting at bad guys any more, 1 tour in the sandbox was enough.

Welcome aboard!!

MountainDevil54 11-17-2010 02:48 PM

You'll like that V2, check through the threads and take a look at my range report on my V2.