Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Have You ever done anything plain Stupid while Hunting with your MLer? >

Have You ever done anything plain Stupid while Hunting with your MLer?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Have You ever done anything plain Stupid while Hunting with your MLer?

Old 11-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Spike

First time with a flintlock had 3 does coming to me and thought i would pull the set trigger before they got close. Pulled the wrong one and shoot the pine in front of me.Don't know who was more scared me or the deer.That was the last time I did that, live and learn.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pluckit
And when you pull the set trigger on a Hawkins there is a click that could scare a deer away.
I have to ask, I dont have a hawkin, but do have a Dixie Gun Works 50cal with a set trigger. That sucker is a Hair Trigger when it's set and if you just breath on it, it go's off so I kinda know where your comming from and have also had Deer hear the set. But, on mine even though you dont set the set trigger and pull the trigger it will still go off, is yours like that also? But yea I used to set the set trigger so no Deer would hear it, another one is any Saftey on any Gun, they all make noise but I have found a way on all of them to take the saftey off wothout it making any noise. Glad you did'nt hurt yourself, Im sure you were embarrassed!
I have a Friend who during Shotgun Season forgot if he had his saftey on so he pulled the trigger, what a DUMMY! he blew a hole right through his treestand!
(BP)
Old 11-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pluckit
Every time I try to whistle to stop a deer I can't get anything but wind to come out,no whistle.I always carry a grunt tube and bleet call to use.They work well for calling in deer also while I've never whistled in a deer.
Oh come on, you never Whistled in a Deer???? just pick your Favorite Tune and Whistle it real LOUD and the Deer will come right in! NOT! NO, just a whistle to stop them, but like Semi said I usually just say HEY! they stop and there Dead.
(BP)
Old 11-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

my hawkens has a hair trigger once the set trigger is pulled back. If I ever **** it back and the shot never happens I remove the cap and un**** the hammer and then reset.

my stupidest moment hmm.. shooting my biggest buck to date and rushing to see him that I walked up on him and he laid there. So I left to go get my truck to return to a pool of blood and he was gone, never recovered even after many hours of searching.

Shooting CCI no. 11 caps on my buckhorn.. Had a doe walk in front of me and thunk... hammer drove the cap to hard on the the nipple that I had to dig and pry it off with my pocket knife. The doe ran off about 20 yards and just stood there looking at me work on the gun.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

I pulled the primer out of my rifle and lowered it down. My dad and I went back to the truck for some coffee and jerky. We walked back to the woods and I climbed back into my stand, pulled my ML up, and started attaching my safety harness. I got it clamped and sat down just in time to watch a buck walk right down the edge of the woods in front of me. By the time he cleared a big treetop and presented a shot he was inside 10y. I had the crosshair on his shoulder and *snap*... nothing. I hadn't replaced the primer when I got back in the tree. Oh well. I may have just imagined it, but I'd swear I heard the buck giggling as he looked back at me while running across the field...

rw
Old 11-16-2010, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
I have to ask, I dont have a hawkin, but do have a Dixie Gun Works 50cal with a set trigger. That sucker is a Hair Trigger when it's set and if you just breath on it, it go's off so I kinda know where your comming from and have also had Deer hear the set. But, on mine even though you dont set the set trigger and pull the trigger it will still go off, is yours like that also? But yea I used to set the set trigger so no Deer would hear it, another one is any Saftey on any Gun, they all make noise but I have found a way on all of them to take the saftey off wothout it making any noise. Glad you did'nt hurt yourself, Im sure you were embarrassed!
I have a Friend who during Shotgun Season forgot if he had his saftey on so he pulled the trigger, what a DUMMY! he blew a hole right through his treestand!
(BP)
Yes,on my Hawkins the first trigger will fire the gun without pulling the set trigger.I have the set trigger adjustment screw taken out so the set trigger sets the fire trigger at an incredibly light pull.All you have to do is rest your finger on the trigger and THINK about pulling it and the gun will fire.Did you know that the set trigger was originally developed for target practice?

Last edited by pluckit; 11-16-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Hunting in some thick chit where a long shot might be 35 yards. buck steped out all I could see in the scope was brown hair. Scope was turned up to 9x, who did that I wonder. By the time I got the scope turned back down the buck was gone . I always check as soon as I am in the blind or where I am going to sit. Same thing yesterday nearly. Wanted a picture of the 4 point 25 yards from the blind and the ISO on the camera was so low and speed so fast most of the pictures were black junk.

Al
Old 11-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

The stupidest mistake I've ever made with a muzzleloader... Selling my .32 squirrel slayer! (or any I've gotten rid of)

rw
Old 11-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

Just this year i took a 250 yd shot @ the buck i have waited all my life for,,,seen him 4 days later chasin a doe about 1/4 mile up the street and he was even bigger than i thought,,,after two weeks have gone by i still cant believe that i took the shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!