Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Deer and Farm Equipment >

Deer and Farm Equipment

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Deer and Farm Equipment

Old 11-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Why not???
First off where I live it's Illegal to Hunt from a Motorized Vehicle, second it's just not right. I know some Hunting Laws differ from State to State so if it's Legal where you are then do what you want. But for me if you cant Hunt a Deer on his terms and do it on foot than he Lives. If you Drive your 4 Wheeler or Tractor to your Trees Stand or Hunting Spot and shut it off and get off it and Hunt, then fine. But Im not gonna run down a Deer on a 4 Wheeler and shoot him or however you get him with it. Do you honestly feel good driving up on a Deer as he watches you and then shoot him? I dont sorry, but to each his own.
(BP)
Old 11-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why not???

If you have to ask this particular question, than you wouldn't care what the answer is any way.

In most states it is illegal to shoot a deer from a "wheeled" vehicle, as the law states here in Wis.

Second, it removes the "fair chase" aspect of hunting. The deer trust the tractor to be non-harmful. They trust it.

Third, its unethical. But since your asking why not, your not going to give any credence to this answer so it doesn't matter.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Figured I'd "stir the pot" and it worked...

It's a bit different "down here"...Bears, deer, raccons, etc all feast on our peanuts, corn, soybeans and wheat...Since we farm, we don't hesitate to remove the problem when it occurs...
Old 11-12-2010, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Figured I'd "stir the pot" and it worked...

It's a bit different "down here"...Bears, deer, raccons, etc all feast on our peanuts, corn, soybeans and wheat...Since we farm, we don't hesitate to remove the problem when it occurs...
Well I also live in Farm Country, Corn Fields, Soybeans, Cabbage, Vegetables, Apple, Pear, Peach, Grapes, ect ect....They give out (Nuisance and Crop Damage Tags) to Farmers here, MOST Dont get them, some do. The Farmers feel it's not right to go out at night with a Spotlight and Rifle and shoot a Deer while it's helplessly staring into the spotlight.
I have one Neighbor Farmer who (does'nt) Hunt but gets the Crop Damage Tags and has his Friends shoot every (Anterless) Deer they can, now what gets me is I own some Woods that Borders the Farmers Land, he has Grapes. The Deer will step out of My Woods where they Bed and as soon as there clear of My Woods they Shoot them. Then they run back into My Woods and Die. There NOT Allowed to go on Private Property so they just leave the Deer and I find them. It males me SICK when I do.
As for Hunting from a 4 Wheeler or Tractor I feel the same, it's Not Right. And for the Guy that ran over the Buck with his Combine because it did'nt get out of his way (in one of the above mentioned Post) Im glad I did'nt see that happen. That's just plain CRULE!
Now I know some of you Hunt over Bait Piles and use Dogs for Hunting, if it's Legal in your State then that's how you were raised and Hunt Deer there so Im not going there, if it's Legal then that's how it is. But on a Moving Vehicle, NO.
(BP)
Old 11-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Now I know some of you Hunt over Bait Piles and use Dogs for Hunting, if it's Legal in your State then that's how you were raised and Hunt Deer there so I'm not going there, if it's Legal then that's how it is.
Now now Breechplug. Let's not be too judgemental.

I don't hunt in farm country. We're in a pine tree plantation area - no crops around at all. Also no oak or other mast trees to speak of. When the pines are young (first ten years after clear cut) you can't see ten feet, much less walk through them.

We put in a lot of work planting and maintaining small food plots to hunt over, and also use feeders which throw out a pound or two of corn in the morning and afternoon. It's about the only effective method in this terrain unless you want to hunt the roads. You can see the feeder out there on this half-acre plot.

Bucks don't come out on the open plots very often. But when the does are hot and feeding on the plot the bucks will sometimes show themselves.

So I ask this. What's the difference between my hunting a plot that I planted and throw corn on (with quite a bit of work and expense I might add), and you hunting a farmers field (no work/expense) that he planted and left corn on, or an oak or fruit tree that's dropping mast?

Last edited by Semisane; 11-12-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:01 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Do you honestly feel good driving up on a Deer as he watches you and then shoot him? I dont sorry, but to each his own.
(BP)
Do you honestly feel good about sitting in a blind or 15 feet up in a tree where a deer doesn't even know you exist and shoot him as he walks underneath , oblivious to your presence. One is considered OK but the other is contemptible. Hmmmm...If it is all about the fair chase aspect then maybe everything except still-hunting should be unethical. Maybe we should outlaw scent killer and camo also., that is just as effective as farm equipment in keeping the deer from knowing you are there to kill him.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess how I feel about it is if are within the law and within the boundaries you set for yourself then you are good to go.
We can't bait here in Minnesota but I know in neighboring Wisconsin they can. A lot of it is what is the tradition where you live.
Art
Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by flounder33
I guess how I feel about it is if are within the law and within the boundaries you set for yourself then you are good to go.
We can't bait here in Minnesota but I know in neighboring Wisconsin they can. A lot of it is what is the tradition where you live.
Art
What the law is should be the deciding factor We can't bait here, not even a mineral block. It is illegal to shoot from an atv or vehicle.Muzzies mean no smokeless powder or scopes. I agree with those laws. I prefer still hunting but as I get older and seem to be noisier I find the idea of a blind a good thing. The point i was making is that we need to be careful in being contemptible toward others if the way they hunt is legal. Semi can legally drop corn and sit there and wait to shoot a doe. Therefore there is nothing wrong with that. It's neither illegal or unethical. If a person lives in a state where you can hunt from a combine what would be the difference between it or a Primos double bull blind?

Old 11-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Coyotes and wild hogs often ignore farm equipment. Killed 9 hogs last summer while disking up wheat fields for a friend. The hogs totally ignored that big Versatile tractor. When hogs got close; i just opened the door and shot them with my AR-15.

An air conditioned tractor is the best way to hunt hogs.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now if I were to take a walk along the edge of the woods every day throughout the summer do you think the deer would get so use to me that they wouldn't spook when I walk down there in hunting season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.