Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Deer and Farm Equipment >

Deer and Farm Equipment

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Deer and Farm Equipment

Old 11-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer and Farm Equipment

It is just about as nice a day as a person could hope for here in Southern Minnesota. This last year my cousin bought an old John Deere B that at one time belonged to our Grandpa. He drove it over this morning and asked if I wanted to take it for a drive before he put everything away for the winter. I have a forty south of my house that has a creek running through it and a small woods. My brother shot a decent buck down there last Saturday. So I headed down there on the tractor to see what I would see. Where the creek enters the woods there are a couple young trees growing and mainly grass. There I saw a really nice ten pointer bedded down there with his head up watching me. I drove right by him less than 40 yards away. Then I drove along the woods to the end of my line and turned back home. That buck was still there with that head up and that huge white spot on his chest. This time I stopped the tractor and watched him for a while, he was fine until I shut the old B off and then he trotted away. Now if I had tried to sneak down there on foot I bet I never would have gotten close to him, the deer here are just so use to farm equipment I don't think they feel threatened by it.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I have noticed the same thing. I hunted near a corn field they were picking, a few years ago. And the picker would go right past deer standing in the corn and they would just move over a couple rows. The farmer told me to ride on the picker but that was illegal. He said he always saw deer, turkey, pheasants, etc.. when doing field work.

He used to take his manure spreader and fill it with good pig stuff, and then lay a good coat of that out and around my hay blind. Them deer never knew I was there...
Old 11-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

flounder33

I think they are have fairly decent trust of farmers on equipment. My brother-in-law has a 40 east of town all of it in set aside right now. You can drive the cat out that way pulling the disk and they will just stand and watch...
Old 11-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

You siad it as if I said it myself.......I live in Farm Country, My Father in Law is a Farmer, I own AG Land and I work for a Farmer, been around it all My Life. I've been on the Tractor Hundreds of times and saw Deer close, stop the Tractor, there still good, shut it off and there gone. Heck I even watched 2 good Bucks feeding on Corn after My Neighbor was cutting the Corn and his Combine was only 40 yds from them, they could have cared less, they stayed there untill the Field was finished. We always jike that My Buddy should drive his Grape Picker out to the woods and sit on it to Hunt, it's as High as a Tree Stand when your up on it, but we figured it was Cheatin, LOL
(BP)
Old 11-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

A friend of mine about 10 years ago took a big buck down with a combine. He was so full of himself he wouldn't move over. the cutters took the legs off.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've killed several from a combine...They'll even wait on a 4-wheeler, trick is to leave it running and get off for the shot so the motor vibration doesn't affect your accuracy...
Old 11-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

SHAME on YOU GUY's Taking Deer from a 4 Wheeler or Tractor!
(BP)
Old 11-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Spike

LOL you can ride up on them on horse's also..
Old 11-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shot a buck from a tractor once. Bang flop - but a big mistake. When he fell off the seat of the tractor it kept going and the bush hog made an awful mess of him.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Breechplug
(BP)

Why not???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.