Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Young Deer Hunters - How Young? >

Young Deer Hunters - How Young?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Young Deer Hunters - How Young?

Old 11-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's the way it ought to be done Greg. Good for you.

I clearly remember taking my first "game" as a nine year old. It was the day after Christmas and my first hunt alone in some fields near the house that are now a mega-mall. The weapon was a spanking new Daisy (Hopalong Cassidy model). Killed a nice mess of robins. Grandpa made a great jambalaya with them, but he made me clean them myself first.

We didn't have any deer hunters in the family. So I had no opportunity to hunt deer until I was in my twenties. But I was a pretty "young" nine and probably wasn't ready for much more than robins anyway.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Spike

Semisane did you ever hunt Gator's.I like that show on History channel Swamp People did you ever see it ?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes I have zZ, but only on two occasions. It's fun and exciting, but nowhere near as dramatic as that TV show implies.

The guys that do it commercially work their butts off. The biggest danger is running a boat at speed in backwater areas and hitting an underwater obstruction. Of course, you run the same risk fishing those kinds of areas. The gator harvest is highly regulated and for the most part you can only hunt your own land or a lease, and tags are limited.

As for that TV show, I was horrified when those idiots started popping off with a .22 across the water. Someone should kick their ass.

Last edited by Semisane; 11-11-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I am learning a lot about Louisiana and the people that live there. I watch that Swamp People also. And Billy the Exterminator is a real hoot!! I am starting to understand Semisane a little more evry time I watch them shows.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Spike

Yea Swamp People is a great show and Billy the Exterminator also.Oh semisane did you ever eat Gator's? If so what was it like?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Aw Cayugad. Don't judge us Coonasses by what you see on TV. Heck, some of use even have most of our teeth and can read a menu if the words aren't too big.

(We do like a party though.)
Old 11-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh semisane did you ever eat Gator's? If so what was it like?
Sure zZ. It's OK. Nothing great. It all depends on how you season it. If you cut the tail into little strips like chicken tenders and fry it like chicken with a lot of spice in the batter it tasts somewhat like a cross between chicken and fish. Very mild. Not a strong taste at all.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Semisane
Yes I have zZ, but only on two occasions. It's fun and exciting, but nowhere near as dramatic as that TV show implies.

The guys that do it commercially work their butts off. The biggest danger is running a boat at speed in backwater areas and hitting an underwater obstruction. Of course, you run the same risk fishing those kinds of areas. The gator harvest is highly regulated and for the most part you can only hunt your own land or a lease, and tags are limited.

As for that TV show, I was horrified when those idiots started popping off with a .22 across the water. Someone should kick their ass.
LOL well what did you use to hunt Gator's Semi.Did you use a hook and line or did you use a High Power Rifle. And just shoot'em?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I would never judge you Semisane. Actually the one (and only) time we came down for Mardi Gras (many years ago) I never met more friendly fun loving, helpful and outgoing people that just liked to have a good time, in my life. Although the hotel where we stayed warned us what part of town to avoid/stay out of after dark for our own safety, and other little tips. But everyone we ran into was fantastic. They even had teeth.

Some of that food though was a little too much for a plain old meat and potatoes guy from up north. Kind of spicy and hot! We did have a chance to eat alligator when we were there, but they told us it was all farm raised alligator meat. And it was fishy but kind of good. I wish I could remember this rice dish I ate down there though.. man that tore me up inside. And I mean tore me up!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Spike

I would like to do some Gator hunting one of these days.Hey Semi can a nonresident get a tag for a Gator in Louisiana ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.