Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Remington Genesis with Deep Curl Speers >

Remington Genesis with Deep Curl Speers

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis with Deep Curl Speers

Old 11-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Remington Genesis with Deep Curl Speers

Since today was beautiful, maybe a little too windy, but warm, it was time to shoot. It was almost sixty degrees. Seems strange walking around in November with out a jacket. And since terrible weather is headed this way... I decided to shoot instead of work in the yard.

I wanted to try the Speer 300 grain Deep Curl in the Remington Genesis. I had moved my shooting bench so I could get the ATV around it yesterday when hauling firewood. So I was 84 or 85 yards away instead of 100 yards.

Rifle: Remington Genesis .50 caliber stainless steel barrel
Scope: Nikon Omega 3-9x40mm no BDC
Powder: Pyrodex RS 110 grains, 150 grains, 85 grains
Primers: Winchester W209
Distance: 85 yards
Weather: over cast, windy, warm in the high 50's low 60's.
Projectile:300 grain Speer Deep Curl Gold Dot 452 454 Casull
Sabot: Short black Harvester sabot
Swab solution: Simple Green

I started out with that Speer Deep Curl and 150 grains of loose powder. I was ALL OVER THE PLACE. I could not believe what was happening. My shotgun would have made a tighter group then that. So I marked all them off and then figured to go to a reasonable powder charge.

I swabbed the barrel clean and loaded 110 grains of powder.

I fired three shots with the 110 grains of powder and had a little over an inch group. I was not happy. Also they were to the left too much. So I gave the scope four clicks to the right.

I then began to wonder. 85 grains did so well in my Knight Disc with this bullet, lets see what it would do with the Genesis. I fired the first three and was much more pleased. The to see if the scope need adjustment or maybe just me, I changed my POA and fired the one in the bulls eye. Why the lower powder charge lowered the POI I am not sure, but this seemed like a good load.

So I decided to pick out another corner bulls eye on the paper and check it again.

Again, the first two looked good, so I changed my POA and saw #3 come into play. I decided to leave the scope where it is for now. I wanted to clean the rifle fully. Take the scope off and put it back in with the quick release mounts (Tradition quick release mounts) and see where it was hitting the next time out. For now I was real happy with the group.

Old friends pulled into the yard about this time so I ended the shooting for the day.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I do not have a good explanation why those bullets would open the group like that with a 110 grains of RS. But also remember I do not shoot Pyro at all. I know when I shoot them with 120/110 grains of T7 I get simular results to your 85 grain load.

Because of the concave base in the bullet, it supposidly should be shoot at a high velocity to get the base to work properly.

The Casual shoots them about 1550/1600 fps - i am shooting them at 1860 with 120 grains and really get excellent accuracy.

I also wonder if the short sabot might have something to do with it. I shoot the longer HPH-24 which reaches completely over the ogive of the bullet.

Oh by the way - i was in the 'Hot Draw' above the canmpground yesterday afternoon from about 2:30 til 4:30. i went up and parked my rear on the ground stand. You would have loved it - whitetail all over the place across from me. I couldn't believe the older does did not spot me. But they were having a ball feeding and moving. I spotted one very large doe that was looking right at me and I was looking at her through the glasses yet she never got alarmed. I almost weakened and decide to take her even though she did not have horns... but I resisted - any way in that time not one buck showed and I did not find any scrapes along the ridge going in...

But, I wll be back...
Old 11-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Well then I have to try them with Triple Seven and some long sabots. I figured they should be pushed hard. But with the 110 grains of Pyrodex RS the group was not bad, but I felt it could be better.

That deer hunting sounds like a lot of fun!!! What distance were the deer from your blind?
Old 11-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

This area was the area that I sent you the pictures of...

The long shot @ the big doe was 215 yards and some of them were as low as 75 yards - just in the bottom of the draw across from me.

It was great fun fun just watching - some of the yearling really do some dumb things - and are not paying attention to any thing. The older does are more cautious but some how did not pick up on me. I was also wearing a camo turkey mask though but my hands were bare and my arms were in a shirt that was blaze camo.

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-10-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: kant spell
Old 11-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Spike

That's what i been waiting on cayugad a good day of shooting.Just been busy here working and it get's dark so early now. Sounds like both of you guy's been having some fun. Good to hear that..
Old 11-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

That last group is really fine Cayugad, and 85 grains will get the job done all day long.

Gold Dots are not the tightest shooting bullets in several of my guns. They will give me two or three inch 100 yard groups when some other bullet will give me and inch or an inch and a half. But I will gladly give up an inch or two in the group size for GD performance.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I am sure that they will get the job done, but I do want to see how hard I can push them. That 150 grain load was all over the place. I was not even holding a six inch group with them.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

If you get a hankering to do it - repeat this experiment with the DISC Original. Use the RS again - I am really curious...
Old 11-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I can do that...
Old 11-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

The real question is will you get the nice weather again before mid spring????

It is changing fast here.... headed to 'Hot Draw' in the morning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.