Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hunting with a ML in the rain?  Never again! >

Hunting with a ML in the rain? Never again!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunting with a ML in the rain? Never again!

Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

black electric tape works great.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep I use a piece of Masking Tape over the muzzle and have hunted a couple of stratght days in the pouring rain and it still went off just fine. It's Funny though I had to convince a few of My Hunting MLer Buddies that it was OK to use the Tape as they said I was going to Blow Up! HA HA! but after they backed up 50 feet and watched me fire a shot with it on, then reload and tape and shoot again I finally convinced them it was Safe.
My Wifes a Nurse and I had her bring some finger cots home from work and I gave em to My Hunting Buddies, the Tape was to much of a Hassle for them to cut and put on.
I cut pieces of Tape about the size of a quarter, clean the muzzle end and stick it on and press it around the barrel end, I never had one come off untill I fired.
(BP)
Old 11-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Yep I use a piece of Masking Tape over the muzzle and have hunted a couple of stratght days in the pouring rain and it still went off just fine. It's Funny though I had to convince a few of My Hunting MLer Buddies that it was OK to use the Tape as they said I was going to Blow Up! HA HA! but after they backed up 50 feet and watched me fire a shot with it on, then reload and tape and shoot again I finally convinced them it was Safe.
My Wifes a Nurse and I had her bring some finger cots home from work and I gave em to My Hunting Buddies, the Tape was to much of a Hassle for them to cut and put on.
I cut pieces of Tape about the size of a quarter, clean the muzzle end and stick it on and press it around the barrel end, I never had one come off untill I fired.
(BP)
Yeah man, that's what I thought...that I would blow up! Well, not that severe, but that it was just a bad idea in general.

The finger cots must be renamed. Muzzle Condoms.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

I don't mind hunting in the rain according that I have Camo rain suits that I can change every day.Here in Granby ,Quebec I have rain most of the time and if I don't hunt in the rain ,most of my hunting days will be void
Taureau noir

Last edited by Taureaunoir; 11-08-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Miss letters
Old 11-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I won't hunt in the rain. I would rather work than hunt in the rain. Ron
Old 11-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

As I mentioned in a prior Post, I see a-lot of Deer during Rain, especially Bucks. There's not many Hunters who will go out in it but it's really worth it if you have the right Gear and ONLY take GOOD shots it can pay off. Now that I think of it during a good Snow Storm Bucks move good also. There's been times where it's Snowing so hard ( 2-3" an hour) that you cant keep yourself let alone your scope cleared off and the Deer are moving. I've also witnessed this during a Lightning and Thunder Storm, I've seen Bucks come out into a open Corn field and just stand there and shake. But it's no fun when your holding a Gun (made of Steel) or a Bow make of (aluminum) I dont know why they do this or move when they do, but they do. Has anyone else experienced this? Also Deer and all the rest of the Animals we Hunt live out in this all the time, there's never a bad time to go Hunting.
(BP)
(BP)
Old 11-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats why we built this last year before deer season.

Almost completed in this pic but this is how it looks for the kids to use during the summer.

Now its fully enclosed with camo material and inside is a elevated bench seat from a van, a rifle rest and heater.......and a whiz bucket.

I even leave a cheap range rod up there.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-08-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Thats why we built this last year before deer season.

Almost completed in this pic but this is how it looks for the kids to use during the summer.

Now its fully enclosed with camo material and inside is a elevated bench seat from a van, a rifle rest and heater.......and a whiz bucket.

I even leave a cheap range rod up there.
Now that's Cheating! I've seen some Pretty Fancy Tree Hunting (Houses) Stands in PA when I Hunt there, those Guy's go all out, there completely covered with walls and windows. They also have stoves, heaters and fridges in em.
(BP)
Old 11-09-2010, 02:36 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

Talking

i'll never let rain stop me

Old 11-09-2010, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Breechplug

It is cheating but it has also saved a few deer and thinned out some coyotes because i was content to sit longer and wait for the ones i wanted. When you are wet and freezing your butt off, you are more likely to take the first or second target you see....at least i am.

This one over looks 2 fields. One has a small circle of small trees and brush in the middle where deer bed down and i can scope out 3 tree lines between fields. It also covers a known path to the river and our food plots. The area is covered with wild berry shrubs too just about 30 yards from the stand.

This is one of the views.

The river bottom view. Its to the left of the above pic.

This is part of the other field (last year) but the grass is shorter now. They used it for pasture this year.

We have another smaller/shorter enclosed stand that covers a pond, a creek bed and the next field over.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-09-2010 at 05:40 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.