Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Teflon tape

Old 11-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

zZ50CalZz

With the tape I never take mine out until I am done shooting.

Yep! I am pretty sure that is a Triumph target shooting Gold Dots. I have to confess though it is a chrono target so it is only a 50 yard target.

Here is another pic using a Remington breech plug...

After all these years of using this picture - I just noticed an error in my directions... It says to wrap from the NIPPLE end - not correct wrap from the barrel end back to the nipple/primer end....

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-07-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Spike

Wow they get pretty dirty for 20 shots and hey thanks alot for all the info guy's.I hope I'm able to make it out N get some shooting in tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zZ50CalZz
Hey thanks for the info guy's I have 2 tubes of grease so guess I'll use it up just was reading a HORROR story about a seized up breech plug.
I think the reason most of the BP Horror Stories you hear are from (Overtightening) the BP, and also from a lack of Lube. I just Hand Tighten My BP's and never ever had a problem getting one out, how about the rest of you, how tight to you tighten your's? And Sabotloader turned me onto the Teflon Tape thing and I do use it, I dont cover the end of My BP (Fire Hole) like he does, but as you can see it does'nt hurt as Sabotloader does it and it works fine.
What happened to the (PINK) Teflon Tape Sabotloader? I still cannot find that color.
(BP)
Old 11-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Spike

I hope I'm able to get these shockwaves i have down the bore.I plan on using them up getting close to bulls eye then find the sweet spot with these XTP's ill use for hunting.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Kinght Disc Extreme. Do you think I could use the Teflon tape just the same? I have the white tape.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the tape on all my BP even the ones one the Triumph and endeavor.
I have tried all the different way I heard mentioned, then came up with my own that I like best, I wrap my very similar to Sabot loaders but have found that on the hand removable plugs I have the best results by wiping a rag that has just a bit of synthetic oil over them after they are wrapped. This not only makes them easier to operate by hand but keeps them in good enough shape that if I need to pull one while hunting it will be in good enough shape to reuse with out having to re-wrap.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

SecondChance

Here is a Knight plug wrapped with white tape... I just noticed an error in one of my pictures.... Start wrapping at the barrel end of the plug - wrap back to the nipple end...

Old 11-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Spike

LOL hey sabotloader do you got some good Elk hunting around where you live?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

The pink tape is still out there you might have to go to regualr plumbing store and ask for it. Normally store that install natural gas supplies have it also. So far I have been able to get it at Lowes....

You mention finger tight... I would suggest maybe snug. The whole key is to get the blow back gas stopped at the point where the breech plug seals up against the flange or ring in the barrel. Another good point is to make sure you are getting the flange in the barrel right at the end of your breech plug threads clean.... that shelf tends to build up carbon and gunk over time and makes it very tough to get the seal...

Here is another one of my 2-bit pictures I made with Underclock's help... that i try to explain this whole thing

Old 11-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

zZ50CalZz

Idaho - northern Idaho to be exact.... and there is a decent population of elk right here close - but we are in a losing battle with wolves - they are certainly getting their share...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.