Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How Many of You Enjoy Cleaning Your MLer? >

How Many of You Enjoy Cleaning Your MLer?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How Many of You Enjoy Cleaning Your MLer?

Old 11-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How Many of You Enjoy Cleaning Your MLer?

With all the new Breechplug Designs and MLer's today being made that are a-lot easier to clean with less Blowback and Stainless Steel Barrels and Weathershield ect. Do you like these advantages? I do, but I mean do you like them because there a-lot easier to clean now because of them?
I Like Cleaning My MLers, usually they get cleaned because I took a Deer that Day and in the Evening it gives me something to do and to look back on the Hunt while Im doing it. I of course clean them after a shooting session also. But the time involved never really botherd me or made me have to get a MLer that was easier to clean because of it.
I usually take about a good Hour to a Hour and a Half to clean mine, but when Im done (if inspected) you'f think it was brand new, and I take Pride in keeping it looking that way.
I know My Old CVA Hunterbolt Mag was a Monster to Clean and took me about 2 Hours to get her back to new again, but it did'nt bother me as the MLer did it's job (at the time) and it was just part of owning a BP MLer.
Or do you Hate the Cleaning Part and not look forward to it?
(BP)
Old 11-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Like you... I am very fussy about cleaning my muzzleloader. I don't know if I would call it enjoyment, but I would call it a duty. And was brought up to do what I should do to keep my tools and equipment in top form. So I clean a muzzleloader because it is part of the shooting experience.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Me too. I always used the hot soapy water and hot water rinse method for all my MLs. But recently I found a product called Turkey Tracks sold by Fort Chambers ML shop here in PA. The way you use it is to plug the breech, nipple, or flash hole and pour about 2 tablespoons down the bore, cover the muzzle with your finger and slosh the solution back and forth to wet the entire bore, then let it set for 10 mins. I then dump it out, remove the breech, nipple or flash hole, swab the bore with a couple patches until clean, a couple dry patches, an alcohol patch, dry patch, montana extreme bore conditioner, then wipe down the outside. Clean the breech or whatever and reinstall.
Like both of you guys, I find cleaning the ML relaxing and not really a chore. And the cleaning seems to go better after a good day at the range or in the field.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Banned

3 hoppes black powder patches, 4 dry patches, clean carbon out of breech plug, 2 Q tips " one dry" one wet with hoppes to clean breech plug and i am done.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

i'm not very fussy about cleaning my hunting guns. My primary concern is the preservation of the bore: After that comes protection of the finish. It never takes me more than 15 minutes to clean and oil a muzzleloader.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:45 AM
mountaineer magic

I don't know if I could say that I enjoy cleaning my muzzies but I believe that as soon as I am done , whether it is hunting for the day, or just shooting for fun,( rather it is 20 shots or 1 shot ),that the first thing is to clean my muzzleloader. I clean all my guns immediately. I don't even leave one loaded overnight. After 30 years of this it is more of a habit than a chore. I don't mind doing it at all. I guess through the years I have adopted the attitude that the cleaning is a important part of the shooting process . I don't feel right unless I know my gun was put away perfectly clean and ready to go next time out. Do I enjoy it? Never thought about it that way, just something I do. And it doesn't matter if it is a breakaction or one that takes a while to clean. I have some guns that take a while to clean , but they shoot so darn good that I would rather clean them then shoot one that isn't accurate simply because I can clean it in 2 minutes.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really don't mind the time I spend cleaning them. I have a cup of Joe, listen to some music, and take my time. I am pretty meticulous about it and it makes me feel good to know they are as good as new.
Art
Old 11-07-2010, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

I enjoy cleaning my ml,I put it apart,even the action and bolt,clean it complete ,take a good hour or so .When I see it like new then I am satisfied.
I do the same to my tools or what ever I want to keep a long time.
Taureau noir
Old 11-07-2010, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cleaning ML's the ole fashioned way lost it's appeal real fast.These days I avoid water.Just doesn't make sense to introduce the one worst thing that causes rust when combined with BP or subs in the first place.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:09 AM
Spike

I just got into ml but I don't mind cleaning it at all. Takes a little longer than my shotguns but I enjoy the time out in the garage by myself. Or one of my kids will come out to watch and learn how to do it. Witch is nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.