Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Increasing Charge in Muzzleloader ? >

Increasing Charge in Muzzleloader ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Increasing Charge in Muzzleloader ?

Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Increasing Charge in Muzzleloader ?

Don't want to hear a bunch of lectures re safety etc. just want to know if anyone pushes their loads beyond that recommended by the manufacturer. For instance gun maker recommends 120 gr pyrodex, what about raising to 150 grs pyrodex?

Jim
Old 11-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people shooting the modern inlines shoot 150grains. I actually thought that was the max for 99% of inlines. I know 777 has to be 100gr or somewhere around there. I used to shoot 150grains, then tried 100 and didn't see any difference in accuracy up to 100yds and since that would be the furtherst I'd ever have to shoot in my neck of the woods, I dont think it matters to the deer if its hit with a bullet pushed by 100gr or 150gr. Just my thoughts, but its like I get a free round of powder after every 2 shots
Old 11-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

I always hunted at 100 gr.of Triple 7 pellets,tried 150 but if you check balistics of Barnes and Hornady,there is just 200 f/s difference in speed and energy.As for accuracy, there is less recoil with 100 gr.versus 150 gr.
IMO
Taureau noir
Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used 150gr's of Pyro Pellets ever since they came out with (Magnum) MLers. Never had a Problem. Sure there was a-lot more Kick and I did lose some accuracy but it worked and everyone knew when I shot as the sound was unmistakable.
BUT, I grew out of the Magnum Charge 2 years ago and switched to 110gr's of Pyro Powder and 100grs of Pyro Pellets in one of My other MLers. I gained Accuracy and no more Black and Blue (Arm Pit Shoulder Area's)
Sighting in was the Worst part of 150gr's especially with a New Scope, by the time I shot about 10 shots I Cringed at the next shot, it Hurt! and Im a Big Guy, 6'5" 240.
I always thought Bigger was Better but I learned a lesson and I never lost anyhing by going with Less Powder. I can shoot just as Far but be Much More Accurate. There's No Need for 150.
(BP)
Old 11-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually most of the old timers here know that the high point of efficiency is usually close to the high point for accuracy. Pushing a bunch of unburnt or having the powder burn in the air after it leaves the barrel adds only more recoil.With faster burning powder heavier bullets ect. you change that somewhat but for practical use with most powders the peak of efficiency is around 110 grains this includes all the subs and black powder with the exception of Blackhorn 209 which is progressive burning which is a different type. all this is in a 50 caliber as the caliber changes the point of efficiency.My opinion its free so take it for what it is worth to you. I realize there may some controversy here especially from short timers.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

I've never shot more then 110 grains out of my muzzleloader. For me, I don't have a need to. My most accurate sabot load uses 100 gr. and 85 gr. with a FPB.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

I will admit, I have shot more then the manufacturer's recommended powder charge in a muzzleloader. I have also shot a number of 150 grains of loose powder loads out of certain of my rifles. All I discovered is more recoil and less accuracy.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

I guess I am a wuss I shot 90gr of 777 with a Horandy 350gr FPB bullet. This combo gives me the best groups out of my Apex to 150yrds and it is around 3" lower at 150yrs compared to 50yrds.

I can go all the way down to 80grs of 777 and shoot really good 100yrd groups but if I drop down to 75grs it gets very wild, amazing what 5 grains of load difference can do.

So I choose comfort over recoil any day if I can get the same or better accuracy. Realisticly most of my shoots are under 100yrds anyway so why waste the powder when you don't need too.

I am not knocking anyones choice in loads just sometimes it not really a have to thing if you are manly shooting distances of 150yrds or less. I am not out there beating my chest that I have the fastest most powerfull muzzleloader, I just use what works for me.

To OP I am not saying that is what you are wanting to do just if you shoot 150yrds or less you could probly get by with 100grs or less depending on how the gun shoots with that combo of powder and bullet.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

i used to sight my rifles in with 130-150 grains of Pyrodex RS powder: Hunted with those loads too. My CVA Mag Hunter has been well proof tested.

Then i discovered that 100 grains of powder is about all that is needed.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

In my Knight I always used 80gr.of T7 loose FFG.This year I have to hunt with T7 pellets because there is no T7 FFG loose powder in my region .
Taureau noir

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.