Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Storing a loaded muzzleloader... how long? >

Storing a loaded muzzleloader... how long?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Storing a loaded muzzleloader... how long?

Old 11-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've been shooting MLs for a looooong time. Back even before PA started its primitive season in the early 70s. This season starts the day after Christmas and runs thru most of January. We get some nasty weather then. Snow, wet snow, rain, sleet, etc. I have loaded my rifle the evening before the first day and had it loaded all season and never had any trouble. Now if I believe the charge had the possibility of getting damp (pouring rain) then I would shoot it off at the end of the day then clean and reload for the next hunt.
I know of one guy who forgot to unload his ML from the previous season. Took it out, primed the pan and kaboom. A whole year and it went off without a hitch! Not recommended and I don't know the effect it had on his bore. But something I would not recommend.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Spike

Just for the record... I unloaded my rifle yesterday at a target, 50 yards, shot was an inch high with accurate windage. Still on the money.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kerrdog
Just for the record... I unloaded my rifle yesterday at a target, 50 yards, shot was an inch high with accurate windage. Still on the money.
So after you inspected the Barrel how was it, did it show any signs of corrosion?
(BP)
Old 11-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Kerrdog

Shoot Kerrdog - I never had a doubt. I shoot mine prior to the season to check POI wipe down the bore with a bit of windex and a very lightly oiled Montana X-treme patch and it will stay that way to the end of the season. Sometimes the load is in the gun for several weeks - really depends on the hunting conditions... but as a disclaimer I shoot T7 - do not think I could do that with real BP or any of the Pyro's...
Old 11-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Breechplug
So after you inspected the Barrel how was it, did it show any signs of corrosion?
(BP)
Well dang! I found two places that indicate pitting. Both areas are very slight. I don't remember seeing them last year. In my estimation, both areas appear to be above the point where the bullet would seat! Both areas appear on the edge of the same groove about 2" apart. Otherwise, the barrel is pristine. Of course, this is a CVA Buckhorn... not a highend gun.

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Kerrdog

Shoot Kerrdog - I never had a doubt. I shoot mine prior to the season to check POI wipe down the bore with a bit of windex and a very lightly oiled Montana X-treme patch and it will stay that way to the end of the season. Sometimes the load is in the gun for several weeks - really depends on the hunting conditions... but as a disclaimer I shoot T7 - do not think I could do that with real BP or any of the Pyro's...
I've never had a misfire with this gun (knock on wood!) even after leaving it loaded for several weeks. Now my Hawken is a different story!
Old 11-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kerrdog
Well dang! I found two places that indicate pitting. Both areas are very slight. I don't remember seeing them last year. In my estimation, both areas appear to be above the point where the bullet would seat! Both areas appear on the edge of the same groove about 2" apart. Otherwise, the barrel is pristine. Of course, this is a CVA Buckhorn... not a highend gun.

I've never had a misfire with this gun (knock on wood!) even after leaving it loaded for several weeks. Now my Hawken is a different story!
Get yourself some JB's Bore Paste and see if that'll get rid of the Pitting, it does Wonders Sometimes. As Sabotloader mentioned he uses T7 and after he fires a shot he runs a Windex Patch followed by a lightly Oiled Patch and he's fine for the Season. But I use Pyrodex and I will do the same as Sabotloader but usually onyl go about 4 Days befor I shoot it and clean it and then re shoot to check, then Windex Patch and a Oil Patch, then a dry Patch.
Did you say what Powder your using in your CVA Buckhorn? Like Sabotloader mentioned real BP and the Pyrodexes are Highly Corrosive, I know as I have seen a few MLers shot at the end of the Season and then Not Cleaned untill the next one and they were in Bad Shape!
(BP)
Old 11-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Get yourself some JB's Bore Paste and see if that'll get rid of the Pitting, it does Wonders Sometimes. As Sabotloader mentioned he uses T7 and after he fires a shot he runs a Windex Patch followed by a lightly Oiled Patch and he's fine for the Season. But I use Pyrodex and I will do the same as Sabotloader but usually onyl go about 4 Days befor I shoot it and clean it and then re shoot to check, then Windex Patch and a Oil Patch, then a dry Patch.
Did you say what Powder your using in your CVA Buckhorn? Like Sabotloader mentioned real BP and the Pyrodexes are Highly Corrosive, I know as I have seen a few MLers shot at the end of the Season and then Not Cleaned untill the next one and they were in Bad Shape!
(BP)
I'm using Hodgdon's T7. That's all I have ever used, although I'm thinking about the convenience of pellets.

So you run a dry patch after the lube? I do the opposite. I also use Borebutter. I notice nobody has mentioned that? Pros and cons??
Old 11-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Spike

I use Goex in my trade rifle and I might leave it loaded on a clean bore from one day to the next but at the end of day two I shoot it and clean. I used pyro in an american knight about 10yrs ago but I did the same routine. I'd be more tempted to trust pyro on a clean bore for a few more days but I doubt I'd go more than 3 or 4 even with the modern powders.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got a shot with my Knight Disc. I reloaded. Before leaving I shot the load out and cleaned it back at camp. Later that night I loaded it up for the next day. It wasn't fired again . It's in my safe clean but loaded and will stay that way probably until next year. I do have a fired red jacket to seal the breech.

Believe this or not. Back in Dec of 1992 I went on a special muzzleloading hunt. I carried a 54 Cal Renegade and a S/S Ruger Old Army. Almost 18 years later that Old Army is still loaded and in the safe. I kept it capped for several years until we made a couple moves. It's in a climate controlled house in a safe with a Golden Rod. I have no doubt it will fire if I put caps on it.