Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Using pistol bullets and looking for load recommendations >

Using pistol bullets and looking for load recommendations

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Using pistol bullets and looking for load recommendations

Old 11-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Using pistol bullets and looking for load recommendations

I recently purchased a Traditions Pursuit II XLT and it has a 28" fluted and ported barrell, break open style. I just love shooting muzzleloaders and always have. I always like hearing what other people use as far as loads go, and I love trying new stuff out.

I'm interested in trying some pistol bullets in my 50 caliber but this is new to me, so I need some input here. What size do I use, diameter? What weights should I look at using? What sabots should I match them with? I'd really like to be able to use the Shockwave SuperGlide sabots. I'm wanting to try some longer range shots but the majority of my shots are 70yds and in. At one piece of property my range is unlimited.

The best shooting sabot I've found so far is the Shockwaves. The only issue I have had with them is that it just seems to blow right through the deer with little to no expansion. Entrance as big as the exit holes. I usually shoot 100gr of powder and 250gr shockwave and the buck I shot last year was quartered to me hard and I shot him through the chest and it still failed to expand like you would expect a quartering to shot at 35yds would. SO I'm open to other options. I have some 200gr Shockwaves I've thought about trying.

Anyhow, what are some other loads (powder, sabots, primers) that you all are having luck with? What's the best accuracy load that you have found? What do you consider "acceptable" or good as far as a 100yd group goes? What load could I try for better expansion and inflict more damage?

I have my gun shooting pretty well but I work for a sporting goods store so I'm open to the resources and have room to shoot. I just love to tinker.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-04-2010, 04:26 AM
Fork Horn

I use the Hornady XTP .44cal in 300gr. with the green sabots. I've had excellent results on deer. You can by both in bulk and is pretty cheap, 14.99 for 50 XTPs forgot how much sabots were.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use 204gr XTP's there the most Accurate most Devestating Bullet I have ever used. Half Dollar sized Entrance Holes. I have never lost a Deer using them. With them I use 110gr's of Pyro RS Powder or 100grs of Pyro Pellets with either a Win W209 Primer or a T7 Primer.
I believe and someone correct me if Im wrong that (Pistol Bullets) are made for Pistols and when used in a ML they'll work but there not designed to take the punnishment that a ML delivers with the powder charge behind them. I know My Buddy uses XTP's also but his are for Pistols, the ones I use are (slightly) different and made for MLers.
(BP)
Old 11-04-2010, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

A few basic things that will help.
First the sabot designation's that tell you what you need to know.
50/45 is a 50 caliber sabot that holds a 45 caliber bullet [.451 or .452].
50/40 is a 50 caliber bullet that holds a .400 caliber bullet.
You mention Shock Waves a very accurate bullet, sold in 3 versions for 50 caliber guns. The 200 gr 50/40 [more widely used all the time ]
The 250 gr 50/45
the 300 gr 50/45
A tip
I use the yellow tip 250 for practice and the blue tip [bonded] for deer or boar, I think the yellow tip 250 breaks up to easy on bones for big game, but it shoots exactly the same as the bonded 250 which is much stronger.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by lemoyne
A few basic things that will help.
First the sabot designation's that tell you what you need to know.
50/45 is a 50 caliber sabot that holds a 45 caliber bullet [.451 or .452].
50/40 is a 50 caliber bullet that holds a .400 caliber bullet.
You mention Shock Waves a very accurate bullet, sold in 3 versions for 50 caliber guns. The 200 gr 50/40 [more widely used all the time ]
The 250 gr 50/45
the 300 gr 50/45
A tip
I use the yellow tip 250 for practice and the blue tip [bonded] for deer or boar, I think the yellow tip 250 breaks up to easy on bones for big game, but it shoots exactly the same as the bonded 250 which is much stronger.
Hope this helps.
THis is what I was looking for. Thanks a lot.