Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I am thinken of switching from powerbelts? Need answers >

I am thinken of switching from powerbelts? Need answers

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I am thinken of switching from powerbelts? Need answers

Old 11-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Power belts were designed for 12 to 14 hundred FPS it really is not a big suprise they come apart [fragment] at near double that. If you plug the hollow point they can be made to work. They are without doubt the poorest bullet on the market to day for muzzle loaders.
I also shoot an Endeavor Encore and I have a suggestion for you. As you want to use Shock Waves use the regular yellow tip or unbonded for practice and the bonded for hunting [blue tip].
Old 11-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Backwoods7
I hate shockwaves but love powerbelts. I've killed 3 deer with powerbelts all 3 were 1 shot kills. 2 droped on the spot one at 50 yards one at 140 yards. The third ran 40 yards and lost alot of blood. I shoot 110gr of 777 and a 295gr powerbelt aerotip. I've killed 2 deer with 250gr shockwaves both were hit in the heart/lungs both requiered 2 shots to die. The shockwaves exploded and had poor penatration. I was shooting 100gr of 777 with them. If you don't like powerbelts find something besides shockwaves they ma cost you a deer of a lifetime shockwaves are the worst I've seen
Are we talking about the same Shockwaves?

I can't get the Shockwaves to expand much at all, I blow right through everything I shoot with minimal bullet expansion. That was with 100gr of Triple 7.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Power belts were designed for 12 to 14 hundred FPS it really is not a big suprise they come apart [fragment] at near double that. If you plug the hollow point they can be made to work. They are without doubt the poorest bullet on the market to day for muzzle loaders.
I also shoot an Endeavor Encore and I have a suggestion for you. As you want to use Shock Waves use the regular yellow tip or unbonded for practice and the bonded for hunting [blue tip].
As far as expansion goes, which is going to be more devastating? The blue or the yellow. I have a bunch of both and couldn't remember the difference in the blue and yellow. I knew there was a difference but I just couldn't remember what the color coding was.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Give Hornady FPBs a try. They are a full-bore copper clad bullet like PowerBelts, but are built a little tougher, and come in 300 and 350 gr. They have passed through on the 5 or so deer I have shot with them, from around 30 to almost 100 yds. I shoot 100 gr loose pyrodex and the 350 gr FPB.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 AM
Spike

I have been using both the Hornady SST's in 250gr. and the Barnes TMZ in 250gr over 100gr of BH 209. My T/C Encore loves the Barnes, super accurate and an all copper bullet that expands great on game.