HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   TC Encore Pro Hunter or CVA Apex?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/333040-tc-encore-pro-hunter-cva-apex.html)

bolton22 10-30-2010 07:00 PM

TC Encore Pro Hunter or CVA Apex??

Looking to get a Muzzleloader this week...Local shop has a lightly used TC Encore Pro Hunter with Pentax GameSeeker Scope(3-9x40) for $659 or I'm also looking at a New CVA Apex with Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 with BDC250 scope for $676. What would be better..I think the TC would hold Resale better but wanted others opinions that have shot both brands!

MountainDevil54 10-30-2010 07:09 PM

Apex without a doubt. @ 100 yards with open sights as you can see,

.45muzzlenut 10-31-2010 04:16 AM

I have no expirence with a TC Encore. I bought a new CVA Apex .45cal this year and used it in Kansas on a doe and a six point buck. The trigger on the Apex is ajustable and really smooth and crisp. My set up is the same as what you mentioned and I love it. I'm new to muzzleloading this year and have been doing a lot of range shooting.

SuperKirby 10-31-2010 05:22 AM

Tough call. The apex seems to be a solid platform, but it's also very new. The pro hunter has been around for awhile and is proven. I would probably go with the pro hunter only because it's been around longer and there aren't going to be any surprises with it. And like you said, the pro hunter is going to hold it's value a lot better in the event you ever decide you don't like it or really need the money.

mountaineer magic 10-31-2010 05:44 AM

I have the pro hunter and it is really nice. I have both CVA's and T/C's and the quality of the T/C guns are better.

lheadct 11-01-2010 05:24 AM

I don't own a CVA but I do have a TC Pro hunter with a .50 cal Bergara barrel, same as on the CVA. It is very accurate with the right loads.

rjhans53 11-01-2010 11:26 AM

The only reason I would by a tc is because it usa made. That being said I have a couple of encore's and don't care for the stock style, the muzzle jump, the trigger, and I don't think they are that accurate (I will say that they are hunting accurate) . I have a knight kp1 that I've got a converted 45-70 barrel on that doesn't seem to have the above challenges and the apex seems to have the same sort of lines. There are those amonst us that slam stuff that is made else where, but the truth of the matter is that I think the places else where listen to the end user more. I don't care for the 50 barrel on my encore, it has to much blow back and you have to disasemble the dang thing to clean it (the knight breaks down so much easier)

doall hunter 11-02-2010 10:03 AM

TC, Definantly. Pentax Is also a great Optics company. I personally have TC and It shoots great.

doall hunter 11-02-2010 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 3712152)
Apex without a doubt. @ 100 yards with open sights as you can see,

NO doubt that is A GREAT group but why is the group almost all the way off the target? Just curious.

MountainDevil54 11-02-2010 10:29 AM

was dead on but we upped the charge to 100gr with a 300gr powerbelt platinum and it moved up.