Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Ventliner in White Breech Plug >

Ventliner in White Breech Plug

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ventliner in White Breech Plug

Old 10-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ventliner in White Breech Plug

I bought a used White a couple months ago and the breech plugs flash hole was at least twice as big as what they are when new. The White breech plugs are one piece with the #11 nipple. I think that nipple would last my lifetime but once that flashhole gets too big you get a ton more blowback and I think the accuracy also suffers.I had bought some new breech plugs but I had an idea that a ventliner ought to work in there. I sent that worn out plug to Ron Laughlin and he did an excellent job drilling it and tapping it for a ventliner.
I finally took the time to try it out today. I shot 13 shots using Remington #11 caps and Triple 7 fffg. Ignition was flawless. I also think the blowback was less than I was getting with a new breechplug. It will be interesting to see how many shots I get out of a ventliner before the hole errodes too much but it is cheaper and easier buying ventliners than new breechplugs.
I can't think of a downside to making this conversion.
Art

Last edited by flounder33; 10-31-2010 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:19 AM
mountaineer magic

Sounds good. I think a vent liner is a good idea, I wish more guns came with them.