HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   .50 for my .54? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/333002-50-my-54-a.html)

caplock 10-30-2010 08:18 AM

.50 for my .54?

I have found a new barrel for my cabelas hawken for only $65.00. The only problem is its only a .50 and I would prefer a .54. The original barrel has about 25 years worth of shooting and abuse from my younger years when I didn't clean my gun near as much as I should have. I guess I would jump on a new .54 barrel in a heart beat but I don't have a lot of confidence in a .50 in a hunting situation as far as a round ball goes, and thats most likely what I would use this gun for. It just seems that anything a .50 can do a .54 can do better. So what do you think am I really out anything getting a new barrel for $65.00? Is a .50 round ball really a good choice for deer hunting? Any opinions appreciated. thanks guys and gals.

jaybe 10-30-2010 08:26 AM

Lots of deer, bear, hogs, etc. have fallen to the .50 roundball, but if you really want a .54, I'd wait until you find one at a decent price. Nothing beats having complete confidence in your rifle, caliber and load.

cayugad 10-30-2010 02:01 PM

I agree with Jaybe. If its a .54 you want then wait for one. But all said, a .50 is a good caliber and their roundball on deer and other game very deadly.

pluckit 10-30-2010 03:50 PM

My first deer with a muzzleloader was a small 8 point,120 lbs dressed, shot with 90 grains ffg Goex and a patched round ball out of a 50 cal. Hawkins at 10 yards. If I hadn't double lunged him I might have never found him. No blood trail at all. The ball stoped just under the skin on the opposite side of the entrance. I never used them again and went to the 370 grain Maxi Ball with the same load. They are devastating on deer and leave a blood trail Stevie Wonder could follow.

lemoyne 10-30-2010 04:58 PM

Well I started with a 40 and tried every common caliber up to a 62, they all killed deer but for consistently dropping them on the spot none compared to a 54. You also give up the long range capabilities no other PRB compares well to the 54. Foe sabot-ed bullets is when the 50 shines the 58 is nice for a massive slow-moving hit on really big game like a moose but with a rainbow trajectory and a ball that is very heavy and a twist that is designed for loads that don't give massive recoil it also has some disadvantages.
For PRB stick with a 54 caliber other wise you give your self unwanted disadvantages.

Daveboone 10-31-2010 04:20 AM

I have owned and shot both .50 and .54, and have come to prefer .50. On deer size game at open sighted ml distances (for me 50-75 yards) with a patched ball, 90 grains of fff, I can shoot groups that make centerfire shooters envious, and have nevr needed a 2nd shot on a deer. At the range it is a little easier on your shoulder, and it shoots a mite flatter.

nchawkeye 10-31-2010 04:39 AM

Both...For $65 I'd buy it, use it and continue to look for a .54...

I've killed deer with my .40, .45 and .54...I like a .54 simply because we have bears on the farm, but that .45 did a good job so I can't imagine a .50 not being adequate...

$65 is a steal for a new barrel...

mountaineer magic 10-31-2010 06:06 AM

I would wait for a .54. Investarms makes the Cabelas Hawken . They also make the Lymans. The Cabelas is basically a Lyman Trade rifle, you might be able to pick up a .54 barrel for the Trade rifle and it should fit the Cabelas. Worth checking into. I have taken more deer with my .54 GPR than any other gun. Nothing wrong with a .50 but .54 is better.

mountaineer magic 10-31-2010 06:09 AM

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...u=000156030229 wouldn't hurt to check and see if it will drop in without any modification. Better yet, save a little more money and get a Green Mountain barrel. They offer different twist rates( fast or slow) and the 15/16th octagon barrel will fit the Cabelas hawken.If you want roundball, they have a 1:70 twist that is a great shooter. or a 1:28 for sabots .